1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My First Silkie Egg!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by RavenWood, Jan 6, 2013.

1. RavenWood

RavenWood Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2012
    Vanderhoof, BC Canada
    I've been waiting and waiting and finally this morning I found an egg in my Peep House where I keep my Silkies and Polands. Pretty sure it's a Silkie egg since it's pretty small ... but it's possible that it's from one of my Poland hens. What colour eggs to Silkies lay?

[​IMG]

2. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    Silkie eggs can range from a light cream color to a darker tan color.

And CONGRATULATIONS on your first Silkie egg! [​IMG]

3. lizanne

lizanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2012
    Citrus Heights, Ca
    Yep, the little one is a silkie egg. Congrats!! [​IMG]

4. RavenWood

Aug 2, 2012
    Vanderhoof, BC Canada
    Cool! So does anyone know what colour eggs Polands lay? I'm not sure which of my 6 hens laid it, but I have two that will be a year in spring and 4 that will be a year in summer so I'm assuming it is one of the older two - either Snowball or Zelda.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    CONGRATS! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  6. RavenWood

Aug 2, 2012
    Vanderhoof, BC Canada
    Thanks!

I was surprised at how small my first Silkie egg was .... take a look at this one from today's collection! Now, I'm sure this is nothing for quail folks, but this is so small for a chicken! Some of my Silkie hens are small (they must be bantam sized), but wow! It even had a fertilized yolk - obviously my Silkie roos are getting the job done! I ate it too, and it was tasty!

small hen egg, tiny Ameraucana egg (one of my old hens first after a moult), my Silkie egg, my teeny tiniest Silkie egg
    [​IMG]
    Not much bigger than a quarter!
    [​IMG]
    And it even has a fertilized yolk! You can't see the blastoderm in this pic though.
    [​IMG]
    Upper left corner - it wasn't over easy, but still tasty! The other Silkie egg on the right and a regular egg at bottom of pic.
    [​IMG]

7. RainyPeeps

RainyPeeps Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    I've heard Polish lay only white eggs and they are bigger then the Silkie egg and smaller then a Large egg. Maybe a Medium?

My Silkies laid there first eggs recently too! We are soo excited, as these are our first Silkies. They were hatched in June '12. One was 32 weeks old and the other just laid her first today at 34 weeks.

Compared to our RIR:

[​IMG]

Here's my girls. Pics are from the fall, before the rain set in. Now they are looking a little soggy :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. chicken farmer

chicken farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2012
    Southern,Ohio
    I got my first silkie egg today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I left it in the box to see[​IMG] if they want to go broody

9. kansas3

kansas3 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2013
    I got my first silkie egg yesterday and another today from the same hen. With the weather getting cold should I remove the eggs, or allow them to stay in nest.[​IMG]

10. PrairieChickens

PrairieChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    Kansas
    If you're talking about Polish Crested, they lay white eggs. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by