My first test babies hatched

Hi, Poison Ivy and others in this thread -

I'm desperately looking for info on using the water weasel. I have mine in a Hova Bator styrofoam incubator that I borrowed with no directions inside. It has two windows. I have an indoor/outdoor thermometer with a probe that I have stuck into the water weasel - it reads around 99.5 most of the time. It looks much like yours. The thermometer on the hardware cloth reads 100 - 101.5 at times but the weasel one stays pretty constant even after turning my 18 eggs. Which temp should I trust?

Also, my humidity is 65% now. Should I take water out of the incubator? I'm on day 4...

How many chicks lived out of the four? Thanks, Ann in NY

I went by the one with the water weasel I also used reptile temp. & humd. disks as a back up. They read the same as the acurite with probe. It read between 98.5 & 101.5 most of the time. It went a little higher in the afternoon. So I had to leave a fan on in my spare room and it solved the problem. I started out with 4 eggs 2 were duds & the other 2 chicks that hatched are doing great. Will have to post a update picture of them. I keep my humidity around 50 % and at day 18 added a sponge to bring it up to 70 %. The chicks were perfect when born. No yolk sack hanging out or shells being sticky. So I was very happy I was so worried I was going to do something wrong. Or they wouldn't hatch or have some kind of problem. So I think I will stick to the 50% humidity when I do it again. Best of luck on your hatch.

its so great to watch babies hatch congrats on your babies. i just hatched my first one last night even though everyone said dont excpect too much on the first try, im not even sure if it was just luck or research. maybe both. it feels great dosent it?
Hatch on!

nice incubator and cute chicks
love.gif
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom