My first time butchering

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by trudyg, Nov 22, 2014.

1. trudyg

trudyg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2013
    Had 2 roos, so the one eyeing me had to go. I didn't do so well with the cutting up, feel like I wasted a lot of meat. Used too small of a pot to scald and so his top was over-heated and the tail end not enough. I had no problem killing him, used a pellet gun, but wow! those feathers are like armor plating when I went to chop off his head. I didn't want to chop while he was alive because my eyes are bad and I was afraid I'd miss (had visions of getting only his beak, aghh). I learned a lot--use a really big pot to scald, have everything you may possibly need ready at hand, my knife was not as sharp as it should have been. Also, I had researched and it seemed like a boning knife was the one to use so I did. That knife was sharp, but unweildy for me. The smaller paring knife I ended up useing was not sharp enough at all. Also, I was so afraid of cutting the intestines that I was timid about cutting around the vent. I ended up removing the wings and legs before gutting, then cut the breast from the back. Wished I had kitchen shears for that. I'm not worried about a whole chicken when I'm done, pieces are good, so is there any reason I shouldn't just cut up as I go along? I learned so much from reading all the posts here, thanks for all the info.

2. CrazyTalk

CrazyTalk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2014
    The meat is tougher if you cut as you go. Essentially, all the bone/tendon attachment helps the muscle stretch back out once rigor has finished. I don't see any problem with quartering, or anything like that, but I wouldn't remove the breasts from the bone.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by