My first time getting chicks...the feather kind!

Welcome to BYC and please check out this file I will be linking and this site under Articles then the Learning Center. And this site:
https://livestockconservancy.org/index.php/heritage/internal/heritage-chicken-faq
Which breed should I get?
Which breed is right for me?
To determine this you have to answer several questions.

• Where do you live? Pick a breed that is adapted for your climate.
  • What are your land and shelters like? If the birds are to range freely, choose a breed that is a good forager.
  • What do you want the birds to do? Provide the family with meat, eggs, both, neither? Choose a breed that best meets these needs.
  • Which breeds do you like? Pick one that you like to look at and will enjoy working with for years to come.
When you have answered ALL of these questions, and have written a job description for your future chickens, go through The Livestock Conservancy’s Pick a Chick Chart to help select the appropriate breed for you.

Their pick a chick pdf is absolutely awesome. Thumb through it for a while do not rush into this decision as some breeds can live for 10-15 years. Please allow yourself to take your time to make the decision to bring these guys into your home. Also, I want to share with you my greatest failure in first year chicken keeping so you can learn from my mistakes. I ordered a straight run(unsexed chicks) and will never do that again, nor will I ever repeat that mistake in the future. I was fortunate and received a 50/50 mix, but I have entirely too many roos. My hens are now at risk of being overmated and the only benifit I have seen is the boys are good ate predator avoidance from the hawks we have here overwinter.

Best of luck in your adventure!

G’Day from down under Twinthing66 :frow Welcome!

Here is another article which might help with breed selection: Pickin a Chicken

You might be interested in downloading this free e-book My First Year With Chickens

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

BYC has a Learning Centre and also Topic of the Week articles which I have found to be a great resource and a one stop shop for questions which may have already been discussed within the BYC membership group. A few which may be of interest to you at this stage are:
Topic of the Week - Getting Started, Keeping Chickens
Topic/Question of the week - Brooding and supplementing heat for chicks
Topic of the Week - Raising Chicks
Topic of the Week - Raising People Friendly Poultry

If you would like to share Pictures and Stories of your flock when they arrive, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out ;)

Best wishes and good luck!

Welcome to BYC Broody with chicks.jpeg
Welcome to backyard chickens!

Henderson's chicken chart is helpful

http://www.sagehenfarmlodi.com/chooks/chooks.html

Came to the right place to ask those questions. Have you ever raised chicks in that past? If not you may want to start off with "teenagers" instead of chicks, or even an established "flock". There are so many different breeds, depending on what you're wanting them for (eggs or meat or dual purpose), your location and amount of space you have for them. It's best to get your coop/run started before you get your chicks/chickens cause chicks grow FAST!

Go through the forums, ask any questions, BYC members are full of information having lots of experience and very helpful. :welcome

Back
Top Bottom