My First time hatch of Ameracuna and Black Australorp, need advice. please read.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Terri E, Oct 2, 2016.

1. Terri E

Terri E Just Hatched

Aug 24, 2016
    Onalaska, Tx
    Ok. Here it goes.

My Ameracunas started to lay eggs a month now. So, yes the eggs are small. Thought I read that small eggs are a waste of time to try hatching, the chick will not survive.
    ok, I refuse to listen. So, i do have total of 14eggs from 2 Ameracunas. Hatching right now but since, of course, they are days apart. The first one suffocated due to not being able to breath. I felt bad, cause after searching in here, I could have helped. As of now, i have 5 baby Ameracuna chicks alive and hatched and about three wanting to. I have only one Black Australorp hatched as well worth another wanting to hatch.

Let me know of I'm wrong in anyway..... I am Not to open the incubator lid because I still have chicks pipping. right?
    Only open of helping a chick to break through but carefully and as instructed by experience advice threads.

Now, since that these very small eggs have produced live baby chicks, Is There anything to worry about? They are tiny compared to the normal sized chicked that's hatched.

Also given that I'm not able to open the Bator, what can i do for the ones that have finished drying out and are fluffed? [​IMG]

Also, one of my adopted Pilgrims layed and oversized egg.
    [​IMG]

Yes, it's in the bator, but could this be a double yoker as a neighbor told me?

Anything that anyone to advise me on is very much appreciated.

2. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello, welcome to Backyard chickens! I am not a incubating expert, but @AmyLynn2374 is! She might be able to chime in and give you some advice. You will get more educated help if you post over on the incubating page. Anyways, good luck on the hatch and I hope you enjoy BYC!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/5/incubating-hatching-eggs

3. Terri E

Terri E Just Hatched

Aug 24, 2016
    Onalaska, Tx
    Thank you.

I'm trying to maneuver around and it's hard for me via phone. Don't have laptop/computer which I'm sure will probity make it easier. But I'm still trying.

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - hope you get answers to your questions and good luck with the rest of your hatch!

Best wishes
    CT

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

6. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

I would say you can open the incubator during hatch, but not more than once every 24 hours during hatch and ONLY if you have a good reason. For example, let's say I'm hatching 24 eggs in my Octagon 20 (24 eggs is max in that thing). It's a bit crowded, so I wouldn't have a problem quickly opening it to remove chicks once a good 5 or more have hatched, only because I don't want them crowding the other eggs. Or, if one chick was clearly having issues hatching and could benefit from assitance (very rarely is this true; chicks know what they are doing). But, if it's not crowded and all are healthy, you can bet I'm not opening that thing until it's day 22-23 and everyone is either hatched or failed to pip. Staying in the incubator does NOT hurt the chicks. Rarely is human interference anything but detrimental; the best hatches I've ever had happened while I was at work or asleep and physically could not interfere.

1 person likes this.
  7. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and :welcome. Happy you joined our community. Best wishes for a successful hatch! :jumpy

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by