1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My First time incubating!! Now Temp. Problems!!!post#10

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bossynbella, Feb 15, 2009.

1. bossynbella

bossynbella Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2007
    Iowa
    Well I bought the incubator in January but Hubby made me wait till today to plug it in. It is a Little Giant Still air Incubator with a turner.

I have two thermometers that came with it and one Thermometer/Hygrometer I bought at Thiesens.

The two small thermometers read 102 F. for the one farthest from the turner motor. and 100 F. for the one two spots away from the turner.
    The Digital Thermometer reads 104.0 F. with a humidity of 31%.
    Before I turned it on this morning it had a humidity of 37 but it dropped to 12 after I had turned it on so I added some water about a half hour ago maybe 45 min.

Should I turn the thermostat thingy down or leave it be? I am sure I will have lots more questions as this progresses.

Melissa

Last edited: Feb 20, 2009
  2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

Assuming its a forced air it does need turned down the question is, how much... Stick the two small ones under your arm an see what they read.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
  3. warmfuzzies

warmfuzzies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Boondocks, Colorado
    Well, I also had the same thing happen. Just got a Little Giant, sounds like the same deal. I had my two thermometers reading four degrees apart, and the digital was very weird, not even close. So I went to walmart and got an oral murcury-free thermometer (looks like a murcury, but they cant sell them anymore. )

I stuck it in there, next to the other one, and lo and behold it was really almost 103 when my Little Giant thermometer said 99. Not good!

I shake it down several times a day, just to check on it, and dont put it right under the fan, that messes it up.

It seems to be working though, I had 100% fertility!

YEAH!!

4. clayhillcouple

clayhillcouple Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2009
    Middleburg Florida
    I bought a Little Giant last week also. I guess to check a really thermometer is put into a cup of ice ,so it should read 32 degrees.

5. bossynbella

Aug 11, 2007
    Iowa
    Well after messing with the temps all day yesterday it is now holding steady. Both small thermometers are reading a bit of 100 ( its hard to tell exactly, but between 100 and 102) and the digital is reading 101.2 and has been since I got home at 5:30 so I think it is holding temp well. I filled the water things half way and my humidity is only 30% I hate having to take the top off take out the turner just to add water, I hope I don't have to add water much because I can't imagine doing it with eggs in the turner.
    I do not have a fan in mine so I believe that 101 is the temp I am going for is that right?
    Now I just need my hens to start laying again!!!
    Melissa

6. BawGock

BawGock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Idaho Panhandle, USA
    I have a hovabator 1588 which probably a little different but I ran small tubing (the same used for aquariums) directly into the water wells and out of the bator. Then just used a large syringe (with the needle removed) to add water without having to lift the lid. On the 1588 there is a small notch in the lid to accomidate the cord of the turner and I was able to fit the tubing there.
    Hope this helps.
    Carolyn

7. bossynbella

Aug 11, 2007
    Iowa
    Thanks BawGock that is a wonderful idea and will save me a lot of time and worry I will do that for sure.

This morning it was down to 99.7 so I tweaked it just a little bit and now it is 102.1 and the humidity is still 30 which is what it was last night. I turned it down just a bit. I am really glad I don't have eggs in there yet, I hope to get it figured out better first!

Should I have left it where it was last night even though it dipped to 99.7 at 6:30 this morning? or is that too low? Which is better low or high?

Melissa

8. teddiliza

teddiliza Chillin' With My Peeps

I am keeping mine in a cabinet, I hope it will get enough fresh air, and I put a cup of water in the cabinet also, since it is so dry in winter! This is my first attempt too! The digital humidity gauge kept reading 30%, but the battery free gauge I bought from the petco reptile section says 45%. What a difference in readings! I'm putting my first eggs in it tomorrow. We'll find out how productive Mr Roo is.
    [​IMG]

9. BawGock

BawGock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Idaho Panhandle, USA
  10. bossynbella

Aug 11, 2007
    Iowa
    Okay now I am having temp problems. I have a thermometer/Hygromiter that lets you see the max and min for the day. and I had to add water yesteday so I checked it out. My min was 98.7 and my max was 101.7! What can I do to keep the temp more steady. I have it in the draft free place, well as draft free as I can get in our old house.
    Also I added a whole cup of water last night around 7 and this morning the humidity was 30 again! How much water to you add. This filled the trays in the middle to the top!

My chickens layed one egg yesterday so I am still waiting for more before I add any eggs. Would like to get the temp steady first.

Melissa

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by