My first turkey egg - almost missed it in the snow

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Fombellchicks, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Fombellchicks

Fombellchicks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2008
    Western PA
    [​IMG]

Today was quite a surprise. I have ten hens and a turkey. The hens have been laying brown eggs since December (I started to add light in November). Since it got warm today here in PA (35 degrees) I decided to "kick them all out" into the snowy run. Most of the chickens went back into the coop after a while, but the turkey and 2 hens stayed outside. When I checked on them again, I saw something white in the snow. Somehow I had never thought that the turkey would lay an egg in the winter, but here it is - next to a jumbo egg from one of my hens. The turkey egg weighs 100g or 3.5 oz, is 3 inches tall and a bit over 2 inches wide. The jumbo is about 2.5oz.

2. jforsness

jforsness Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    That's very awesome, I hear turkey eggs are T A S T Y [​IMG]

3. Appytaz

Appytaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Central Florida
    Very Cool - Weird question - do turkey eggs taste like chicken eggs?

4. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Quote:I've wondered this myself. Do they? I kinda like turkeys, well girl turkeys anyway.

5. Fombellchicks

Fombellchicks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2008
    Western PA
    I really don't know yet. I read that the consistency of the egg white is different - more rubbery and the yolk is bigger. Most people seem to use them for baking and cooking. I will blow it out and keep it to put in on our Easter tree.

6. hatchaholic

hatchaholic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    Congrats! [​IMG]

I'm hoping my turkeys will start to lay soon. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by