My first winter down in Bend, OR. How should I prepare?

Too small, roost are best at at least 2" wide or round.

I'd be tempted to rip out the kennel/nests.
How big is the trailer in total?
Sorry. My bad. They’re actually 2 inch square. I cut some 2X4 length wise. I’ll have to measure it.

the pictures don’t show it well but the kennels have been turned into 4 big boxes. The walls inside can’t be removed or the structural integrity could become compromised if to much snow is on the roof. It’s a flat roof.

Are you in Bend proper or farther out? That can change the advice greatly as Bend/Redmond don't get "too much" snow, but Sunriver/LaPine area can get completely buried in it and your flat roof has a very good chance of being caved in! Sisters is sort of a guessing game, they could get more or less snow depending on the year.

If it were my chickens though, I'd build a slanted roof over the run and coop to keep as much snow off as possible, no need to make Central Oregon winters any harder than they already are!

Are you in Bend proper or farther out? That can change the advice greatly as Bend/Redmond don't get "too much" snow, but Sunriver/LaPine area can get completely buried in it and your flat roof has a very good chance of being caved in! Sisters is sort of a guessing game, they could get more or less snow depending on the year.

If it were my chickens though, I'd build a slanted roof over the run and coop to keep as much snow off as possible, no need to make Central Oregon winters any harder than they already are!
I live out towards La Pine. I’ve been trying to find a local poultry group like the one I had up in Vancouver, WA but so far no luck. I just want advice on what works in the area & what doesnt.

I live out towards La Pine. I’ve been trying to find a local poultry group like the one I had up in Vancouver, WA but so far no luck. I just want advice on what works in the area & what doesnt.
I’m in eastern WA now, but grew up in that area. You definitely don’t want a flat roof…I’ve seen hip-deep snow, so cover the run if at all possible, and get a good slant on your roof or it’ll collapse on you.
As for local chicken groups, I don’t know of any…I do know my sister’s neighbor has chickens, but they are first time chicken owners and having a lot of trouble with them. Growing up, I had friends that ran a ranch on the southern end of LaPine…they had a coop, but I don’t know if they’re even still there, I lost touch with most of my friends after I moved away.

Back
Top Bottom