My flock, help with breed IDs

clickdb

Chirping
May 22, 2015
High Desert, Southern California
My Coop
My Coop
Hi all. Been browsing this site for a while, I think it's great. My flock got started about 5 weeks ago with some barred rocks and unknown yellow chicks. I'm trying to figure out what they are. I have a couple suspects but would like some fresh eyes to see what you guys think. The second half of my flock is a week To 3 weeks old, made up of 3 RIRs, one BR, and another mystery chick (named ducky).
Been taking the older chicks outside to the run during the day, they love it but come running for me in the evening when they see the nighttime big red bucket lol.
Also, I'm pretty sure I have a lot of cockerels in that bucket. Not sure what is gonna happen to them yet.

And here's Ducky (about 3 weeks old I think)

Last edited:
Hi all. Been browsing this site for a while, I think it's great. My flock got started about 5 weeks ago with some barred rocks and unknown yellow chicks. I'm trying to figure out what they are. I have a couple suspects but would like some fresh eyes to see what you guys think. The second half of my flock is a week To 3 weeks old, made up of 3 RIRs, one BR, and another mystery chick (named ducky).
Been taking the older chicks outside to the run during the day, they love it but come running for me in the evening when they see the nighttime big red bucket lol.
Also, I'm pretty sure I have a lot of cockerels in that bucket. Not sure what is gonna happen to them yet.
The white ones you should wait until their feathering is better for us to try and figure out the breed. Also 2 of the white ones look like cockerels and maybe a BR but I will need a better picture of it to be sure.
I'm not sure on it's breed but it looks like a cockerel.
It looks like your have 3 Hatchery Rhode Island reds along with your BR.
And here's Ducky (about 3 weeks old I think)
I think ducky is a OEG.

Thanks for the input!
Yes, the bigger BR in the first pic is most definitely a male, his comb started coming in quite early. The other two BRs i think are also cockerels due to their coloring, they are a little younger than the big guy so their combs havent turned bright pink yet.
As for the white ones, two of them have distinctly red combs, although only one of them is growing out. Another week should tell for sure.
I looked at HUNDREDS of pictures on this site, and the only breed that looks like how these guys are feathering out is the Splash Marans, but i will definitely check back in when they are more fully feathered.
Whats the difference between a RIR and a Hatchery RIR? (new to all this, trying to learn :D)
Also, what about Ducky makes him look like a OEG ?(Old English Game, right?) He is a big less energetic than my other chicks, more passive, and walks around with his tail sticking straight up.
I appreciate the answers! thank you!

They hatchery RIRs won't be as red and will be lighter. The reason I think ducky is a OEG is because it's feathering and the way the wings are pointing down and not side ways.

Thanks for the info, I have a lot to learn about chickens still lol.
Is there any validity to the theory about RIR pullets having the black line on their heads as chicks? Two of them (the lighter ones) are feathering in fast, the darker one seems to be be growing a little slower. I know I can just wait a few more weeks to get a much better idea, but if I have as many roosters as I think I do I'm gonna need to trade them in for some more pullets.
I looked at ducky a bit closer and you are totally right about his wings hanging down rather that being held back against its body. Before you pointed that out I had though maybe he was an EE.
Anyone else have ideas about the white chick breed?

Last edited:
I've never a had a true RIR chick so I'm not the person to answer you question about the chick sexing. I hope you don't get to many cockerels!

Back
Top Bottom