My flock is gone......

coop-er

Songster
7 Years
Nov 28, 2012
Sadly a few day-time attacks have dessimated my flock and yesterday my son finally put a stop to this.. The culprit was a VERY sick fox. Now I am left with just 2 lonely (I think??) RIR. These are already skittish birds (which is how they survived, I believe) and now they are alone. So my question is-how do I rebuild? I would like at least another 5-6 hens and a rooster. What age should I look for? (My remaining survivors are 6 months old). Also, what is the best method for integrating new members to my coop? I lost a total of 6 birds, so my hens are used to being part of a group of 8- not sure if that makes any difference. Thank you for your help......

Thanks- that is what I was considering to be the best move at this point- And I would like my layers back! We were just ramping to a good egg production rate.

Just exactly how was the fox sick? Or did you mean that it was mean to eat your flock. I am worried that a rabid fox, could pass disease to your remaining hens. If you just meant it was mean to eat your flock I totally understand that sentiment..... it is so discouraging when you lose most of your flock, especially when they are just coming into laying.

If you can get an older roo, do so. When I finally got a roo that was about a year old, my daytime predation was greatly reduced! But a younger roo, is not quite as good at protection, and it is kind of a crap shoot if they are mean or nice.

Mrs K

Just exactly how was the fox sick? Or did you mean that it was mean to eat your flock. I am worried that a rabid fox, could pass disease to your remaining hens. If you just meant it was mean to eat your flock I totally understand that sentiment..... it is so discouraging when you lose most of your flock, especially when they are just coming into laying.

If you can get an older roo, do so. When I finally got a roo that was about a year old, my daytime predation was greatly reduced! But a younger roo, is not quite as good at protection, and it is kind of a crap shoot if they are mean or nice.

Mrs K

I believe the fox had a very severe case of mange. It's entire body was affected with approx 90% of its fur gone and its skin was just an unholy mess. I believe my son did it a service by dispatching it- I hate to see any animal suffer and I can't imagine how this poor thing even had the energy to hunt. Actually after it was killed we even had some discussion about what kind of animal it was, as it looked that bad. I have only 2 hens left (RIR) they are very skittish and fast so that probably saved them. I don't think they had any contact with the fox so hopefully they will be OK. Thanks for the advice on the roo- as I will be looking for another- this predator killed the 2 I had- they were only 6 months old-all of my birds were the same age- we raised them from day old chicks. Sad story for my first go at chicken keeping...

Mrs K

Rabies cannot be passed to birds.

How did the fox get your birds? If you free range, you might want to reconsider. If it was getting into a run/coop, it sounds like you have some re-working to do before you add more birds. If one predator can get to them, so can another, and it's naïve to think another predator won't take that one's place.

Back
Top Bottom