My flock needs help....chronic issues..

Is there any way you can return the unused bags of layer feed for credit? It's worth a try.

I have had the experience of having my hens ignore layer feed, and go crazy for Purina Flock Raiser. Chickens have taste preferences. You really do not need layer feed as long as your layers get oyster shell free choice.

I also recommend fermenting your feed. I've had layers that I was certain were past their laying career come back into full regular lay after being on fermented feed. The transformation has been truly stunning.

But, please do not try fermenting Feather Fixer! The stench is absolutely gagging! There's something in that formula that releases a tremendous amount of sulfur gas as it ferments.
I believe sulfur was the 'proprietary' mite deterrent they crowed about so looudly when it first came out...they no longer crow about the mite thing.

I use Purina growth and plumage for gamebirds. My chickens are sultans which are never great layers anyway, but if I put them on flock raiser or layer they were eating feathers for protein and quit laying almost totally. With gamebird starter (28% protein) my young hens lay 6 eggs a week, which is a lot for sultans :) They poop a bit more... that's the biggest downside I've seen. They also get bugs from free ranging, grass and clover, and I'm a sucker and give them a handful of dried mealworms when they beg. And the smallest hens with the largest eggs always beg for more bugs.

Every time I've tried moving them back down to a flock raiser I see them eating feathers, but when I put them back on gamebird they stop.

This is all very helpful information!

Here is what I have done so far...

Saturday (before the snow) I raked up a bunch of leaves they threw them in the coop. Then I had 3 old straw bales that were our for fall decorations and put them in there too. They got a kick out of that! Then Sunday it snowed 4 inches, so we will see what they do with that.
We started mixing the all-flock with the layer feed.

The mill date on our feed is Nov 11. We also go through roughly 2 bags a month on feed. It was buy 3 get one free, so he got a dozen bags to get us through the winter. whoops. We tried fermenting feed last year - they absolutely hated it. it didn't matter which feed I used or how long it soaked - they wouldn't touch it. And honestly with 4 kids and a full time job - I just didn't have the time to keep it up.

Game bird feed - medicated or unmedicated? We also raise thanksgiving turkeys and pheasants, and I feel like I read somewhere you shouldn't feed this to chickens but can't remember why. Maybe I am wrong. But I do want to add more protein than what I've got for sure.

It's only been a couple days, so we will see what this week brings. I did get 3 eggs yesterday, better than none.

About 13 of the hens are 1.5 years old, so they will be replaced next fall. What do you all do with your old laying hens? I can't afford to keep them as pets. Wish I could!!

Back
Top Bottom