My flock never sticks together

Melontine

Songster
May 26, 2019
Maine
I currently have ten hens and one rooster.
Five of the hens and the rooster are still young, only about five months old. The other five hens are well over a year.
When they first got through introductions, the younger half and the rooster would stick together and the older hens would do their own thing. Now the roosting is more mature, so he follows the older ladies around. They aren't too thrilled with his advances, but I'm glad he's not trying it with the less mature hens. (or are they still considered Pullets? They could start laying any day now but haven't yet.)

So... I have two groups of chickens free-ranging around the yard. One with a rooster the other group tending to stick themselves under shrubbery or close to home. Will they ever become one group?

They also sleep weird. It's still hot out so the older girls sleep on top of the coop, which is fine since it's in a covered enclosure anyway, but they'll have to be moved to the more insulated sleeping place soon. The younger girls sleep inside that coop, and the rooster sleeps all by his lonesome in the other coop I got for introducing the younger ones. This second coop is also everyone's prefered place to lay eggs now.

They also sleep weird. It's still hot out so the older girls sleep on top of the coop, which is fine since it's in a covered enclosure anyway, but they'll have to be moved to the more insulated sleeping place soon.
Sounds like maybe your coop is not big and/or well ventilated enough?
Might want to check that before winter hits.
Post pics of coop here for advice:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/coop-run-design-construction-maintenance.9/create-thread

Once the pullets begin to lay your birds will be more likely to become one flock.
Ditto Dat^^^

They aren't too thrilled with his advances, but I'm glad he's not trying it with the less mature hens. (or are they still considered Pullets? They could start laying any day now but haven't yet.)
It's good he's not after the youngers, rare in a cockerel and a good sign IMO.

Touchy time of year for close to laying pullets.
Here's some tips on how to tell...
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

FYI.....semantics, maybe, but can be important communication terms when discussing chicken behavior.
Female chickens are called pullets until one year of age, then they are called hens.
Male chickens are called cockerels until one year of age, then they are called cocks(or cockbirds or roosters).
Age in weeks or months is always a good thing to note.

Back
Top Bottom