1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My flock

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by futurefarmer93, Aug 17, 2014.

1. futurefarmer93

futurefarmer93 New Egg

Aug 17, 2014
    Moreno Valley, Ca
    2 Buff orpingtons, 1 Production Red, 1 french copper maran, 1 amercauana (all hens).can anyone tell meveryone the positives and negatives of whichever breed you may have experience with. Thanks guys!

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG]Glad you joined us! There is a wealth of info and honest reviews from owners and breeders on these and other breeds in the Breeds and Reviews sections. Enjoy the site!

3. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Enjoy your flock and welcome to ours!

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you.

The only bird in your list that I've had experience with is the Production Red (and I've only had one). She's been a decent layer (250 or so eggs a year). She's not as personable as my Wyandottes, but is still a gentle bird. Mine has been hardy, with no disease problems.

1 person likes this.
  5. cstronks

cstronks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2013
    New Jersey
    I've had great success with Rhode Island Reds and Red Sex Links. They are both personable and good layers. Most of the time I get 250+ a year from each of my Rhode Islands (8 total). As for the Buff Orpington, they are entertaining and sweet-natured birds, however their egg laying has not impressed me. I get about 4 eggs a week from each, with dips and spikes in production. They were purchased from a private breeder, so the line might not be so great, but they do not lay on par with the Rhode Islands or production type birds. I also have a minorca who lays 4-5 giant white eggs a week, so I'm happy that the size of the egg compensates for the lower number. Minorca hen is flighty though. Have only held her a dozen times in two years...

I recently added partridge rock birds to my flock. Very pretty feathering and coloration, but they're too young to lay, so nothing on eggs. I look forward to reviewing the breed in about 3 months once the birds are full grown and laying.

Best of luck with your flock!!

1 person likes this.
  6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Good luck with your flock and welcome to ours!

7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

1 person likes this.
  8. futurefarmer93

futurefarmer93 New Egg

Aug 17, 2014
    Moreno Valley, Ca
    I fed my hens crickets and they seemed to enjoy it and I enjoyed watching them any other "fun food"

9. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. I've had all of those breeds over the years, although my Marans were Cuckoo Marans, and my Ameraucanas are Easter Eggers (as most all of them are). There's a good article explaining the difference at http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2011/09/ameraucana-easter-egger-or-araucana.html. Here are the positives and negatives I've experienced for each breed in 50 years of chicken raising.
    Buff Orpington = Positives: Very beautiful, very hardy (particularly against cold), calm and gentle temperament (my children, and now my grandchildren, made lap pets our of them), good layers of large, brown eggs. Negatives: Frequently broody (this is only a negative if you don't want breaks in their laying).
    Production Red = Positives: Cold hardy, excellent layers (the best on your list), not broody. Negatives: Sometimes aggressive.
    Marans = Positives: Fairly hardy, quite beautiful, lovely chocolate eggs. Negatives: Inconsistent temperament (some of them are quite docile, others can be high strung or aggressive).
    Ameraucana (Easter Egger) = Positives: Very beautiful assortment of colors, good layers of different colored eggs, non-aggressive temperament, not broody. Negatives: Standoffish temperament (they do not make lap pets like the Orpingtons do).
    Hope this helps. Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. Good luck in getting your flock.

1 person likes this.
  10. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by