My food has run out

I to have had broody chicks that hatch out and have never feed them starter,never had a problem. I just feed them flockraiser feed with free choice oyster shells

Wow! What a response. You guys and girls are great. It's not a pain to get the feed just wanted to be sure this being my first flock and all. I have tried setting one rather large bird into the house with the two older hens and one just started beating it up. Whats up with that? Should I remove the heat lamp from the brooder, or keep it on. The birds are in a 3ft x 2ft x20in box brooder I built. All are well just don't want to lose any. I'm kinda selfish. Thanks Phil
big_smile.png

Scrambled egg and quick rolled oats also make good tide-over feed for chicks when you run out of starter. They shouldn't make up the entire diet, but are helpful--especially the eggs. After all, that was "nature's chick starter" for them before they hatched.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
When I had my larger flock they all ate Layer crumbles, Males, girlys, and babies. Now I only have girlys that I acquired in a couple months time and they are different ages... One of which was already laying when I got her so they all have had layer since I got them. No problems here with them and no losses due to too much calcium or protein.

Quote:
Just remember to add a little grit with this combination... I've used this as well one night when the chicks were still under lamp.

Quote:
are they still inside the house or outside?

At 7 weeks they should be ok without a heat lamp during the day at least, you don't want to remove it suddenly and altogether - a little at a time, first during the warmer parts of the day - and keep an eye on them.

Quote:
I am feeding medicated chick starter, and are still having to treat for cocci..I have read that there is a strain of cocci that the medicated starter doesn't prevent.

I'd just go ahead and feed the 7wk olds what the rest of the flock are eating.

Continuous feeding 7 week olds a diet of Layer that is for mature hens will have effects on your hens as they grow older. Too much calcium too early is not good. Mine stay on a starter/grower or Flock raiser til POL.

Giving them something for a few days will not hurt til you can get them back on their reg. feed.

Back
Top Bottom