My four girls waste so much feed.....

BethieofVA

Songster
9 Years
Mar 27, 2010
Yorktown, Virginia
I know that is a reoccuring problem on here, but the ground under the feeder is covered. My question, if I didn't refill the feeder, do you think they might eat it? I can fill the feeder and those silly birds go crazy eating and flinging, pecking out the good stuff. LOL! Thanks.

I keep my feeder in the coop, which has a wire floor. My hens go under the coop and clean up most of the spilled feed, but usually only when the feeders are empty. Perhaps if you don't fill the feeder up right away they'll clean up their mess. Good luck!

I have the same complaint. Within a short time of filling their feeder, it seems the bulk of it is strewn around the ground. I do not refill right away anymore and, yes, they do clean up what is on the ground. They are wired to scratch around for food anyway, so I let them.

Ours aren't all that messy, but they do have a tendency to enjoy scratching on the ground for the spilled food....even when there is plenty in the feeder. I guess it gives them something different to do.

what kind of feeder do you have? i used to use the small (3lb feeder i think?) feeder - it's feed tray portion had no dividers in in and it was VERY easy for the girls to bill food out. i switched to a slightly larger (11lb feeder???) one that has the small plastic spokes that are suspended over the feed and they bill out MUCH less food.... mine also get crumble instead of pellet - they were raised on crumble and like it better, but before i changed feeders i tried switching to pellet to see if they'd waste less food. oddly enough, it seemed like they managed to waste even MORE. also, because i am only feeding 6 hens i don't keep the feeder full - in fact, i keep it fairly low - so the food tray in the feeder doesn't get SUPER full the way it does when the feeder is full-to-the-brim, if that makes sense.

It might be that you're hanging the feeder too low. They might be spilling it by walking underneath it and tipping the food out. Mine do that when it's hanging too low. Try hanging it up high enough that they have to reach up over the edge a little to eat. Then it will be higher than their backs and it won't tip when they walk under it.

Back
Top Bottom