My free chickens.

Fisherlmiranda

Songster
Feb 25, 2018
Morrow, Ohio
I got some free chickens and have been nursing them back to health. They were cared for by a very old woman, who kept 3 roosters and 6 hens in a 10ft by 4 ft run. That was mounds of poop and fed them a flock block. She passed and the chickens need a new home. When I got them they all had their feathers missing like this one, but it's been a few weeks now and almost the feathers have grown back in except on one hen. She looks exactly the same as when I brought her home. I got rid of two roosters, just have one. So I dont think hes the problem. I've watched and hes not aggressive with them. They free range and have a nice size coop. So I dont think its stress. They get organic layer feed, scratch feed, kitchen scraps, free choice calcium and kelp. I'm new to chickens so can some help me help this hen grow feathers because cold weather is coming!
20190916_112125.jpg

I got some free chickens and have been nursing them back to health. They were cared for by a very old woman, who kept 3 roosters and 6 hens in a 10ft by 4 ft run. That was mounds of poop and fed them a flock block. She passed and the chickens need a new home. When I got them they all had their feathers missing like this one, but it's been a few weeks now and almost the feathers have grown back in except on one hen. She looks exactly the same as when I brought her home. I got rid of two roosters, just have one. So I dont think hes the problem. I've watched and hes not aggressive with them. They free range and have a nice size coop. So I dont think its stress. They get organic layer feed, scratch feed, kitchen scraps, free choice calcium and kelp. I'm new to chickens so can some help me help this hen grow feathers because cold weather is coming! View attachment 1915772
I had an aggressive hen who did that to two of my chickens last year. I have since lost the hen to a predator, but the feathers didn't grow back immediately on one hen. Her feathers are coming in now after the fall molt. Your one hen may need to go through a molt before new feathers will come in.

Sometimes when they lose feathers from over breeding or feather picking, they may not grow back in until the next yearly molt. But some hens will also pick out new feathers as they are growing in. You might want to boost the protein in their feed to 20% or feed them a 24% chick starter for awhile. Scratch should only be used as a treat once in awhile, since it only has 7% protein and not much vitamins or minerals. Here is 20% all flock feed
upload_2019-9-23_10-52-22.jpeg

And here is a 24% gamebird starter:

Attachments

• upload_2019-9-23_10-51-20.jpeg
    upload_2019-9-23_10-51-20.jpeg
    36.7 KB · Views: 1
Yes, that one looks like left over rooster damage. When she molts she should feather out again. You can use a hen saddle on her to protect her back until she gets feathers, you can buy them or make them yourself. www.hensaver.com
You might consider giving them a flock raiser type feed and offering the calcium free choice in another feeder. The flock raiser is a bit higher in protein which they really need when growing feathers. Also, the roo doesn't need the extra calcium in the layer feed, it can cause some health problems down the road. And watch the scratch feed, they love it, but it will reduce their overall protein intake.

Back
Top Bottom