my free range chickens have stopped eating their feed

milo2145

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jan 29, 2010
huntsville texas
Is this normal? are they getting enough from free ranging? we have about 10 acres that they forage on, and they seem happy and active, I put grower feed for them every day, but it just goes to waste. they eat all my cats food, and they go crazy for the wild bird food that I put out, but i worry that they won't get enough nutrients.

hi everyone by the way!

sounds like they have lots of yummy bugs to munch on, and the wild bird feed is like crack to chickens! They love scratch grains and wild bird seed, especially BOSS (black oil sunflower seed). They'll also scarf up cat food like little Hoovers (vacuum cleaners!) [as will raccoons, oppossums, stray cats, rats, wild birds, and even squirrels & skunks]. If you limit their access to the wild bird food and the cat food, it will encourage them to eat more of their grower food which has a more balanced amount of what they need. Nevertheless, they'll probably still eat less during the warmer months. Just wait until it turns sharply colder and watch them start chugging it down again...
roll.png

My feed bill goes down by about 1/2 this time of year, completely normal since they are getting lots of good grub while freeranging. I'd make it so they can't get to the bird feed though since too much of that is not good for them and they'll eat it like a 2-year old eats ice cream.
tongue.png

Lucky you! Mine don't seem to be eating any less than they did 3 months ago! Free ranging has the benefit of free bugs and worms, which I'm sure they are taking full advantage of. Probably finding some mouse nests or small snakes to nibble on too
big_smile.png

Of course, the fact that my flock size about doubles in the warmer months probably doesn't help either
lau.gif

Last edited:
They are probably getting enough to eat on their own. My kids like to go out every night to catch June bugs in jars for out chickens. The scatter the bugs on the ground in the morning and get a kick out of watching the chickens go after them.

Back
Top Bottom