My friends coop is horrendous.....predators got in.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
ASK to keep the bird. If they don't have any others, why have 1 chicken, alone? Explain how they need other chickens (flocks) to be with. Maybe she'll let you keep it. Offer her some $. Tell her you got attached to it, whatever.

That woman wouldn't be my "friend" any longer. I'm getting too old to be around stupid people -

"always telling people things they're too lazy to know" - Van Morrison

Quote:
Seriously are you kidding? I understand that it is their bird but surely if you cared about animals you would understand. I probably will follow another poster's advice and ask if she wants me to keep the bird.....hopefully she will agree.

Why don't you ask her to keep the bird until her run/coop is better secured. If she says no then you have to give it back. It's hers. They may have no idea what to do. I know this last two weeks have been horrible for us. We had a raccoon attack and I didn't have anyone to go to except BYC people. Now two raccoons later we feel a tiny bit safer but our coops are in excellent shape honestly. The raccoons chewed through wood! I know from what you are saying they could beef up their situation but could you offer assistance instead of being so critical? It's not like they want their animals gone or eaten or injured. She obviously likes them if she is getting 30 more soon.

Quote:
I don't know how "old" you are but boy I want to be there too!
big_smile.png

Thanks for your advice this is probably what I will do. If she does hatch eggs I don't know how she'll keep this 4 month old bird with it. I'm going to try to talk her out of it.

Quote:
Agreed. And I'd add "I know you guys are new to this chicken thing. I'd be happy to help you go over your coop with you to help make sure you don't lose anymore birds."

Also, as others have said - one bird by itself may not be a very happy bird. Even though she's getting some more, they'll be very young. I suspect there may be issues integrating such an older bird with the younger ones? If so, she needs to at least be made aware of this possibility. Perhaps you could let her know that her lone bird has a standing invitation to stay at your place should such problems arise in the future.

Quote:
Thanks for your advice. Please understand that this is sort of the last straw. Haven't been critical all along through all of these attacks. I certainly understand that predators can get to any of our animals...I also hope they don't get to mine, although if they do I will know that I did the best I could.Its the lack of caring or trying to prevent it that upsets me. She doesn't even seem to try to prevent it once she realizes that she has a problem. As another poster stated I certainly will never help her get another animal....I can't stop her but I don't have to help her either.

Do they have a PET dog or cat? Predators that come after chickens, goats and rabbits would make no distinction between their livestock and their pets. Her dog or cat may be at risk if they have such an "inviting" selection of meals available.

Maybe that would help make your case as to why the coop needs to be more secure?

Where do you get off stealing someone's property because you disagree with its care?

Not to be argumentative but I think that this is exactly what the Humane Society does isn't it?
wink.png
Although I don't intend to steal it, this week she left me in charge and of course it couldn't go back into that coop and it was injured. I'm hoping to talk her into leaving it with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom