My funny chicken family, their fantastic personalities.

WriterofWords

Has Fainting Chickens
14 Years
Dec 25, 2007
Chaparral, New Mexico
I just went outside to the trash and discovered I hadn't put the chickens to bed. The original 8 that were left on my doorstep and Charlotte my son's rescued little girl were letting me know they weren't real happy with me.

They are living in a pen made of two excercise pens that were for my Pyrenees when we traveled, and there is an Extra Giant kennel in there for them to sleep in with a nice bed of deep straw.

During the day they roam the front and side yards, it's about 1/3 of acre I guess. But when the sun goes down they expect to be in the pen, in the kennel, with a blanket over it covering the door. Three of them roost on the front porch though, that is Penny, Charlotte, and Blue, the three Musketeers.

Hershey's first baby duck also lives in the pen with them because he still thinks he's a chicken and so do they. He is terrified of the other ducks, and if he starts squawking the chickens run to his defense.

When I walked out the door just now, the six that sleep in the kennel were all huddled together on the top step next to the door so I almost tripped over them. I went and opened the pen and then had to carry each one to the kennel because they were chilly and didn't want to break the huddle,, they are also spoiled rotten. The duck was already in the pen and was crying for them, so they went night-night together.

Blue, the blue rooster who roosts on the porch has a cute habit of wanting to be cuddled all the time and will jump into my arms,,, ok, it was cute when he was little before he grew the huge claws on the ends of his massive rooster feet. Now having him suddenly jump towards my face and expect me to catch him is not entertaining, but it is my fault for starting it in the first place. I'm trying to teach him to stand on the feed can and let me pick him up that way.

Charlotte has never gotten any bigger, she's tiny, and she's trying to sit Whitey the duck's nest with 8 huge duck eggs in it. She can't cover them all herself so Flat-Top McNugget, the Turken Roo, and Cogburn the who-knows-what roo share with her and they all three sit the nest with Charlotte in the middle. Penny, the hen that adopted Charlotte just sits on a bale of straw and watches them, then when one leaves she'll take their place and so on.

I didn't know what to do when those 8 tiny babies were left on my step Dec. 29, but now I just thank God I have them and the unconditional love and friendship they offer me. My son's little miniature, 5-toed, bossy baby Charlotte is just a wonderful hen, she makes a strange growling noise that seems to upset the other chickens though. Kind of like me,,,,

K

* They sound awesome!! Well, except for Blue, the "Here I go-- Catch me!!!" roo! Be a heck of a thing to try to explain to the doc stitching you up, wouldn't it ?!?!?
tongue.png
ED: Reminds me, my BIL had a cat named Morris that he'd trained to scramble up his pant leg into his lap when it was a little kitten. NOT SO CUTE when the cat hit 11 pounds though!!!

Last edited:
d.k :

* They sound awesome!! Well, except for Blue, the "Here I go-- Catch me!!!" roo! Be a heck of a thing to try to explain to the doc stitching you up, wouldn't it ?!?!?
tongue.png

LOL,,, Actually yesterday it was hard to explain to the UPS man. He knocked on the door,, I opened it and walked out and Blue came running across the yard attempting to crow,, and jumped at me. Scared him half to death! I didn't mention Blue sounds like he is gargling with acid when he crows,, which is ALL the time!​

I really enjoyed reading your post! I can relate as I imagine most folks on this forum can. I am blessed to be a stay at home wife (for the time being) except when I need to go to the feed store, grocery store, etc. My small flock has captured my heart and tickled my funny bone; they continue to do so daily. I never knew before now that chickens' personalities are as varied as peoples, dogs, and cats. I'm happy to discover I'm not alone when it comes to talking to chickens! LOL! People who don't own them or people who grew up with them and viewed them as a chore or food think I'm bonkers. I can hardly talk to anyone anymore without talking about my chickens. It's only slightly embarrassing to realize some folks don't care to hear about them.
lau.gif

Blue sounds like quite a character. Keep us updated regarding your progress with his "training".
big_smile.png

I always wanted to be a stay at home mom, I envy you! It didn't work out that way for me since I've been single since my son was about 6 months old. I've been off for 3 weeks, go back to school on Monday,, I'm afraid if I were home all the time I'd be morphing into a chicken and have feathers all over me. Ok,,, I already have them all over me, I meant growing out of me!

Last edited:
d.k :

* That makes the second time I've heard of UPS guys being terrorized by chickens while on this site. Wonder if they can put in for hazard pay???

DK, my regular UPS man is wonderful and has me spoiled rotten! He knew I was waiting for an incubator last January and it was in his load. He also knows I'm a teacher and wasn't home to accept it so he brought it to me at school! This guy was filling in for him today, I have a feeling next time he does he'll leave my box at the gate!​

Bok-bok!
lau.gif
I have chicken brains.
big_smile.png
My husband noticed that I used to talk with my hands, but now I talk with my arms, especially when I'm telling him what the chickens did while he was at work.
big_smile.png

A long, long time ago, when there weren't as many chickens in the world as there are today, one of my younger brothers successfully raised two dyed Easter chicks into huge, beautiful roosters. There was no BYC. Anyway, they terrorized the school children who had to catch the bus at the corner of our yard. They terrorized the postman. They terrorized my mother EVERY day and destroyed many a purse she flung in their general direction. The four of us kids in the household felt so special!
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom