My Gander Looks like Crap!

Pretty Pony

Songster
13 Years
Dec 2, 2008
Ft. Smith, AR
This is my first year of raising geese. I have French Toulouse. My gander has been breeding his special female and fighting with the other gander so I had to separate the ganders. When they are both out during the day, they still fight ( usually in the pool), and boy do the feathers fly! One has so many broken feathers, he looks like he went through a fan. And then the female he mated with is really looking moth-eaten, too.

Will it get better soon?

my ducks are doing that too. we have to keep them seperated until we get more hens. they just never stop fighting! we have two different pens so that keeps them apart at night and then we alternate days on which ducks get to come outside and play.

I might have to try that, one batch in while one batch is out in the yard. I have some more females on order.

3.gif

Getting more females may not solve the problem.
You need to separate them. Some ganders will fight with each other no matter how many females are around. This is perfectly normal breeding season behavior.
Thats why people build breeding pens.
If 2 ganders are constantly breeding one goose this is going to stress her out too.
This aggressive behavior will last throughout the breeding season.
With my Sebs thats through June. Not sure about Toulouse.

Last edited:
OK it may or it may not curb the fighting.. I posted what worked for me just within the past week for me.. I had 2 ganders and 1 goose. I went to an auction and bought 3 geese and 2 ganders..
they paired off within the next 2 days, no fights at all during or after that time..

I am sorry it did not work that way for you..

BTW,,,I am getting 4 eggs per day at the present,..

...jiminwisc........

Back
Top Bottom