My "Garden Coop" project: The inside is finished! *NEW PICS*

Quote:
It's polycarbonate sheeting in a smoky sort of colour, rather than completely clear. I'm putting pine shavings inside the coop (DLM) so the next thing to do is put a barrier around the access hole so the litter doesn't all fall out. I have some leftover framing timber so that should be high enough to keep at least *some* of it in. LOL

Today I installed the roosts! (Which involved some sneaky pruning of a tree in our yard to get a suitable branch). They're a bit "Dr Seuss" but I hope the chooks will like them.
smile.png

91980_p1080954.jpg

Last edited:
Love the coop. I want to use some of that smokey roofing.What brand is it? I only see clear and gray at home depot.

Quote:
Your local home depot should be able to get it for you. It is listed on there web site just look up Suntuf and it is Solar Gray for the color. I used the clear over a deck I have and it has worked great so far.

As for the coop great build. I love these coops and have a few around my local area. I thought of building one but went with another style. Keep up the great work!

Last edited:
My babies are in their new coop today as a trial since the weather here is stinking hot and the brooder is getting too hot at night. Even with the front of it completely open and covered with wire they were all sleeping as far from each other as possible and had their wings out to cool down. At least out in the coop they get a bit of a breeze to help cool the air down a little.

I put a rush on the interior over the last few days and it's now ready! I have installed a sliding door to block off the ramp access for a few weeks and that gave me a nice spot to put the feeder until I can get a bigger one installed outside for them. A cinder block made a good stand for the water, plus underneath it gives them a place to huddle. They can easily reach all the roosts by hopping from the cinder block to the low roost, and then to the high roost where it crosses over the lower one. I've put wire over the egg door (will install the nests once I'm ready for the big girls to move in) so I can leave that door open during the day and my cat and kids won't be able to get in get in. I've also put wire on the window in case they feel like flying out. Am planning on putting something solid over this (like perspex) in winter to reduce drafts, but will see how it goes first.

And since this would be useless without pics....
wink.png

Getting a bit hot in the brooder at night.
91980_p1090053.jpg

Exploring the new coop.
91980_p1090100.jpg

Checking out the roosts.
91980_p1090081.jpg

Looking out at me through the egg door.
91980_p1090069.jpg

And the view from outside.
91980_p1090103.jpg

They are so cute! Love the quizzical looks they are giving the place. Looks like a happy home for them.

Well it's been raining heavily for a few days and I'm pleased to report that the inside of the coop is bone dry, warm, and free of odour, plus the covered run is also nice and dry! :)

I painted the exterior the other day so will head out and get some new pics once the rain stops.

Last edited:
So I have been looking at the entire list of postings this evening just to check out the progress up to today. I'm pretty proud of our family's little tractor for our urban farm, but I've gotta say that I love love love the garden coop! It's just AH-MAY-ZING.

Love the natural branches, the natural light coming in and of course, those darling wee kiddos playing around. Way to go!

bow.gif
Jane

Back
Top Bottom