My Geese won’t swim in my pond.

Lisaofatl

In the Brooder
May 4, 2020
I bought two Sebastopol goslings. When we first got them they would run along the side of the pond and dip themselves under the water. But now they are a little bigger and they will only drink from the pond and they won’t go in and swim. I don’t know how to get them to go in. I threw lettuce in, close to the edge and they still won’t go in and they LOVE lettuce. I have seen a snapping turtle in the pond but I haven’t seen it bother the geese. No marks on them as if they’ve been bit. Any suggestions why they’re not going in the pond?
Thanks Lisa

Maybe they had a scare? I have seen a turtal (dont know what kind) "hunt" pigeons before. The would bite down on their feet and drag them under water. Let me see if I can find a video. So you can compare turtals. Not trying to scare you! Just the first thing i thought of when i read the tural part. Has it gotten colder were you are at? If it has maybe that's why. Can you swim in your pond? Maybe they will follow you??

I live in Fl so it’s hot right now so I thought they’d love getting in to cool off. No it’s not a pond I would not want to swim in, probably bc of the turtles 😂🤦🏻‍♀️
I guess I need to get that turtle out. But not sure how to get the geese back in once the turtle is out?

I could see the turtal comeing back. Maybe try geting a kitty pool? That's what I do for my geese. I will even add cabbage and watermelon into the pool. (I know you said you tryed throwing food into the pond) if they were scared, this way they can see what's on the bottom of the pool and feel a little safer. I would even say sit next to the pool to help build the confidence back up.

Update: I found the turtal! Its is a snapping turtal. I could share the link but it's sad. I do not enjoy seeing any animal above all a baby get eaten. But I do enjoy animal behavior. (Like what made a turtal learn hunting skills?)

Last edited:
If I knew there were snapping turtles in my pond no way would my waterfowl be allowed in till they were eradicated. I am original Floridian and have seen how big those turtles can get. They will pull under a full size duck an drown and eat it and eat goslings and ducklings also. A kiddy pool is best until they have been taken care of.

Maybe they had a scare? I have seen a turtal (dont know what kind) "hunt" pigeons before. The would bite down on their feet and drag them under water. Let me see if I can find a video. So you can compare turtals. Not trying to scare you! Just the first thing i thought of when i read the tural part. Has it gotten colder were you are at? If it has maybe that's why. Can you swim in your pond? Maybe they will follow you??

Back
Top Bottom