My girl doesn't seem to thrilled with the boy I chose.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jdywntr, Jan 12, 2012.

1. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    So, I had 5 Muscovy and 1 Muscovy mix. I had 5 males and 1 female. 1 male went to the table for Thanksgiving and 3 males went to freezer camp last week.

I chose to keep the male with the best personality and he was also the largest of the lot.

My problem: My hen does not seem to interested in him. They had begun showing breeding behavior and I had seen most of the males, including the 1 I kept, mate with her. They were not near as randy as the runners I used to have but I would see them mating 1-2 times a day at least. Now, nothing.
    Most times I can look outside and they will be about 10-20 feet apart napping, foraging etc.

My question: Did I create a problem for myself choosing the male I wanted to keep? Will she finally take to him? Will he just exert his wants and take charge anyway?

I'm hoping for ducklings come spring.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  2. KWAK

KWAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2009
    Michigan
    What one did you keep?

3. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    I see what you mean, i'm no duck person but if you want to breed them you can do Artificial Insemination if the girl doesn't accept him. People do A.I. with turkeys and chickens so I assume it will work with ducks [​IMG]

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Well...hormones seem to run rampant in spring, so maybe he'll look more appealing by then???

5. JerseyGiantfolk

Jan 12, 2012
    I agree with Teach, right now no ones in the mood. Usually its spring or summer.

6. jdywntr

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL

My avatar is the "pair". [​IMG]

7. jdywntr

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Well, I hope that you are both right. Though it was in the 80's here last week so I don't know that they really know the difference. [​IMG] I'm hoping maybe because there is not as much competition now that he is not as concerned with showing his dominance. She has not started laying yet but those other boys were after her alot.

8. JerseyGiantfolk

Jan 12, 2012
    Well at least they can stand next to each other[​IMG]

9. jdywntr

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL

They don't hate each other. She is just not as interested in him as I'd hoped. [​IMG] I was hoping they would practice for a bit so that when the eggs start coming they are fertile. [​IMG]

10. JerseyGiantfolk

Jan 12, 2012
    Lol! [​IMG] That's what I hope for my Old English Game pair to do! I've never seen them mate and since the boy got 1st at county fair I want to breed him with his girl.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by