My girl doesn't seem to thrilled with the boy I chose.

jdywntr

Songster
10 Years
Oct 31, 2009
Somerville, AL
So, I had 5 Muscovy and 1 Muscovy mix. I had 5 males and 1 female. 1 male went to the table for Thanksgiving and 3 males went to freezer camp last week.

I chose to keep the male with the best personality and he was also the largest of the lot.

My problem: My hen does not seem to interested in him. They had begun showing breeding behavior and I had seen most of the males, including the 1 I kept, mate with her. They were not near as randy as the runners I used to have but I would see them mating 1-2 times a day at least. Now, nothing.
Most times I can look outside and they will be about 10-20 feet apart napping, foraging etc.

My question: Did I create a problem for myself choosing the male I wanted to keep? Will she finally take to him? Will he just exert his wants and take charge anyway?

I'm hoping for ducklings come spring.

Last edited:
So, I had 5 Muscovy and 1 Muscovy mix. I had 4 males and 1 female. 1 male went to the table for Thanksgiving and 3 males went to freezer camp last week.

I chose to keep the male with the best personality and he was also the largest of the lot.

My problem: My hen does not seem to interested in him. They had begun showing breeding behavior and I had seen most of the males, including the 1 I kept, mate with her. They were not near as randy as the runners I used to have but I would see them mating 1-2 times a day at least. Now, nothing.
Most times I can look outside and they will be about 10-20 feet apart napping, foraging etc.

My question: Did I create a problem for myself choosing the male I wanted to keep? Will she finally take to him? Will he just exert his wants and take charge anyway?

I'm hoping for ducklings come spring.

I see what you mean, i'm no duck person but if you want to breed them you can do Artificial Insemination if the girl doesn't accept him. People do A.I. with turkeys and chickens so I assume it will work with ducks
smile.png

I agree with Teach, right now no ones in the mood. Usually its spring or summer.

Well, I hope that you are both right. Though it was in the 80's here last week so I don't know that they really know the difference.
lol.png
I'm hoping maybe because there is not as much competition now that he is not as concerned with showing his dominance. She has not started laying yet but those other boys were after her alot.

They don't hate each other. She is just not as interested in him as I'd hoped.
lol.png
I was hoping they would practice for a bit so that when the eggs start coming they are fertile.
gig.gif

Lol!
lau.gif
That's what I hope for my Old English Game pair to do! I've never seen them mate and since the boy got 1st at county fair I want to breed him with his girl.

Back
Top Bottom