my girl is having a hard time laying- her vent is dry and pale

Brenda Jones

Songster
Sep 9, 2020
Upper Eastern Peninsula of Michigan
My girls will be 2 years old in July. My one girl (Matilda) has always had a bit of difficulty as she is regularly laying a bit larger eggs than the other one (Merisol). Recently Matilda has had increased trouble laying... she screeches loudly and her eggs are a bit deformed... they are ranging in the 80+ gram range ( this her typical range). But I was checking her and noticed that her vent is dry, it has always been a bit paler than Merisol's. Is there something I can do to help her? (i.e. moisten/lubricate her vent) for the past 2 days she has had broken eggs.... prior to this she had eggs that were more "pinched" at the end. IMG_1239.JPG IMG_1245.JPG IMG_1240.JPG IMG_1241.JPG IMG_1242.JPG IMG_1243.JPG

Egg looks 'corrugated', can be attributed to respiratory disease.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/common-egg-quality-problems.65923/

Is she behaving 'normally'..eating/drinking/pooping/moving around OK?

What all and how exactly are you feeding?
Her eggs have been "wrinkled" from the time she began laying. She is acting normally ... eating , drinking, running around. I feed an organic layer whole grain 1/2 cup (Scratch &Peck is the company) I ferment the grains and also moisten an organic Layer Pellet 1/2 cup (it usually takes a couple days for them to eat all of the food), they get free choice oyster shell and egg shell mixed and grit as well free choice... they also free range. Her comb and waddles are bright and her eyes look normal, her poop is normal. Just her vent is really dry and she struggles to lay her eggs... which are 80+ grams... I have already lost a hen to vent prolapse (100+ gram eggs) last year.

Back
Top Bottom