My girl seems sick

Did she pass away? That is what I am understanding. Sorry for your loss. These things do happen sometimes. It would be good to get the calcium just incase it happens to another hen.
Why does an egg breaking inside kill them so quickly??
If you live in a very northern latitude with very dark days, if your chickens are cooped up most of the time and don't see the sun, they will have poor calcium absorption. Or if she may have been eating things that prevented calcium absorption like spinach does, it robs the hen's body of calcium.

Poor quality oyster shell prevents proper absorption if it is mostly small powdery particles. Check your supply and replace it if this has been what your hens have been getting. Larger particles are absorbed far better than dust. Making it free choice so each hen can eat as much or as little as she needs is better than putting it in the food you give them.

If you are not feeding a commercial chicken feed, perhaps they don't get enough of added vitamin D and other minerals necessary for calcium absorption.

Or this may have been caused by a genetic flaw in her digestive system that prevented proper calcium uptake. We can't know, only guess at the possibilities since we know nothing about your situation from the small amount of information.
My girls are not “cooped” up, they are out daily in their 14x45 ft chicken run, and sleep in a 6x6x7 ft wooden coop.. I order Oyster Flakes from a reputable company, and also offer oyster shells from tractor supply, they are kept full in three locations in their run, they are fed Nutrena Nature wise laying pellets and that is mixed with Nutrena Feather Fixer, for my girls who are molting …they get an afternoon treat of their Henhouse Reserve that I ferment daily , their coop is cleaned every morning because I use droppings board under their roost … and I change their water every day! I DO NOT Give them extra treats because I do not want to dilute the benefits of their feed

Back
Top Bottom