My girls are pooping in their nesting box! Help!

sandiegochick

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 7, 2009
Washington
I'm thinking that the nesting box that DH and I put together is not looking nest-like enough for our girls... they are pooping in it. In fact, most of the poop in the coop is in the nest box. It's really more like a litter box at this point.

Any suggestions?? Anyone else having this problem? I even put golf balls in it... they just ended up with poop on them?! I don't really like golf either, but this is outta hand!

How old are the chickens? I didn't open up the nest boxes until they were ready to lay so they didn't get used to being in there for anything but laying. Still the occasional poop, but they are chickens after all.

I agree do not open it up until they are ready to lay. But, also make sure it is not higher than the roost. Chickens will find the highest place to roost and if the nest box is it, then you will get lots of poop instead of eggs.

Good thinking. I should have done that too. Darn. My girls are approx. 5 months old.

Thanks for your reply!

And I just realized that I should have posted this in the chicken behavior/egglaying section... what a newbie I am!
big_smile.png

We have a population mix issue, too many roos. Some of the hens roost on the next boxes. Make sure there are adequate roosts and that the hens aren't trying to escape a situation on the floor. I plan to put tops on the next boxes to try and minimize the roosting.

Back
Top Bottom