My Girls are trying to dig out -- Help!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MandalaMaMa, Sep 27, 2013.

1. MandalaMaMa

MandalaMaMa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2013
    southern Oregon coast
    This is too funny (I think) - my girls have been digging in one spot. It s at the farthest corner of their run. I think there is a pine tree stump there or else something yummy buried. They will go for a few days and not do anything and then it only takes one to start working it and then they take turns. They keep digging up tree bark. My question is do I let them keep digging or do I do something about it. If so what would I do. Figured if I filled it in with dirt they would just dig it up again. Any suggestions?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. aliciasimon

aliciasimon Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2013
    No idea how to help you with that one but it sure is cute. I'd let them keep digging. Maybe there are yummy worms in the ground at that spot?

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Tell them if they're trying to escape they should dig closer to the fence [​IMG] There is probably something interesting underground in that spot that they are after.

4. MandalaMaMa

MandalaMaMa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2013
    southern Oregon coast
    They are just too funny - sometime there will be 3 of them with their heads in there and their little butt sticking up in the air. Wish I could get a picture of that but I have them spoiled because every time I go close to the fence there it is with a yummy garden protein treat like worms. So they all come to the fence to see what I brought.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by