My girls have COMPLETELY stopped laying! WHY? What can I do?

Another possibility is an egg thief. Perhaps a snake has found a way to get into your coop. Maybe you a an egg thief of the 2 legged variety.

I just got 8 RIR hens 1 year olds and Its been 9 days ive had them but I only get 3 eggs a day.So the laying isnt going too good here either. How many days after a move do they usually start laying? They seem happy have started coming to me and letting me pat them. I dont have a rooster but they had one til I bought them will that make them stop laying? also I noticed (well maybe my imagination) the red thing on there heads seem darker dont know what it meens I,m obviously totally new to chickens but I love them already
smile.png
. coop is small but run is big should I shut the coop door at night?

Call me a little slow but I had no idea mites would actually stop them from laying. I have two point of lay pullets . Production red and a black star. They are very large and seems as if they are over due.
hmm.png

So I had bought the dust but was putting off dusting them because I was told to hold them up by their leggs and sprinkle over their body. Seems a bit rough and I just got my girls to start eating from my hands. Is this gonna freak them out or is their a better way?

If your girls have a favorite dusting spot, just mix the dust into their dust-bowl. Let them do it for you.
smile.png
Mine like to fluff in the litter in the coop, so I just generously sprinkle the dusting powder on the floor before putting down the litter, then rake it around. No mites!! And it kills the creepy crawlies in the coop, too.
tongue.png

Too old.... bull, as far as I know, and as far as I have learnt.. that layers lose 20% production every year until they stop laying, so you could have a layer who lays for 4 years, and stops. A 1 year old chicken, shouldn't just STOP laying, it's probably something to do with your temperature drop, it seems logical...cause the temp drop even throws my dogs out of whack.

Maybe they are getting ready to molt, it's about that time if they are that old and that wil make them drop off in production too. Mrs. Bird-Brain is right too though..temp. changes always affect mine. Really cold nights when they are conserving energy to stay warmer are always less eggs for me the next day and the same when it's so hot..could be just that simple. I'm sure they are fine, really hope so anyway
smile.png

My whole laying flock has cut production in half in the last two days and are showing signs of molt. I am guessing it is the sudden warm spell. They also have slowed eating for the same time frame. I might try the corn thing, sounds interesting.

Back
Top Bottom