My Girls Need Company

Welllll, I will have to echo the others: Barred Rock. Next would be Australorp. Then Buff Orpington, in very close order. I have all three in my flock of many breeds. I love EEs, because they could lay green eggs (my one who is laying does) and they could look like ANYTHING, all different colors and stuff, but that does make their personalities different, too, reflecting the mix of the breeds that created 'em. But good, reliable layers and great personalities describe the BRs. My BA is a friendly busy-body. I love her. My BO is gorgeous and personable and she just hatched my first GrandChick, so of course I love HER too. *sigh* It's such a difficult choice. Get all three. And get a 4th, an EE.

You might also consider checking out this chicken chart: http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html I refer to it often.

Hi PDX!
I love your city
cool.png
Anyways, gotta put my two cents in. We have a flock of 27, and our Barred Rocks are the meanest girls ever. I'm talking feather pulling and chasing, not one, but like 6 at a time. Our girls have adequate space so I'm not sure what the problem is, but they are pecky girls. Yes they do a classic chicken look, very pretty. That being said, I am sure in a small flock such as yours it wouldn't happen. Of course, I am WAY partial to our EEs. Holy moly they have the sweetest faces I have ever seen, who can resist those muffs?? A couple of them are skittish, but most aren't. They are good layers, and they all lay green, blue, or olive eggs. Look at an EE contest thread or some other EE pics, I think you will be sold
love.gif
None of our EEs have ever been bullies, but a couple have been bullied. My daughter's EE, Moxie, is her "pet chicken". We call her that because she flies onto her shoulder when she enters the run, almost every time. It's kinda gross cuz of her feet, but her fluffy muffy face is so adorable it's hard to be mad at her ~ Kim

I'd have to say barred rock too! I have a barred rock, a buff orpington, and an EE myself, and I can definitely tell you, my barred rock is BY FAR the best layer. My EE is a little skittish and the buff orpington, while beautiful and docile, doesn't lay much.

Quote:
Just to echo what Kim said lol, because my 15 week old Barred Rock DOES rule my flock with a firm beak. She has pulled feathers once from my younger Wyandotte and that was more because they accidentally crossed pathes in one of the coops and both kinda freaked lol! This was when they were being introduced hehe. But Joon, my Barred Rock, does have everybody in check. She will chase even my 5 month old Brahma if she happens to be crowded, or whatever lol. She doesn't stay after them usually, and rarely catches anybody for a good peck. She is best friends with my EE who is the lowest on the ranking, so it's interesting lol. But my Barred Rock girl is alpha of my flock, personally.
smile.png
Not a bully so much, but definately assertive (is that only a dog term?? LOL)

Last edited:
You guys are too convincing! Because I read one message and I'm Barred Rock all the way . . . then the next message is Ameracauna all the way. I'll admit I'm leaning towards a BR. Definitely another Australorp (my current BA roo is so darn sweet and funny and tame and adorable and, oh, wait I sound chicken obsessed).
smile.png

I'll have to let everyone know (with pics) what I decide this weekend. Is it wrong I already have a list of possible names picked out? I need to get a life . . .

If I could offer you my suggestion on your breed thoughts. I would highly recommend the buff orpington over the EEG. I have both breeds, and they are night and day different with their personalities. The buffs are soooooo sweet and gentle, unlike the EEGs who are completely indifferent to people. Also very hearty winter hens.

Good luck!

I think the personality may depend on how much they are handled when young. I have 4month old BA that seem to be afraid of there own shadow, (not handled much when young)some Wyandottes from the same hatch that are coming up to me for treats. I have adult Buffs, EE,Sussex, and Brahmas that are all soo sweet, the EE's all are good layers the Sussex are my best garden buddy's almost stand on the shovel to get the first worm. the EE's are a little shy, and don't like to be picked up as much. they all come running when I enter the yard,so I can't say who is my favorite. Which ever you pick, I know you will love them, chickens are too sweet.

I love my little fuzzy footed Salmon faverolle. They are cold hearty and are suppose to be good winter layers. My EE "Bun -Bun" and "Big Mama'" my Black Australorp play nice together. (Both are at the top of the pecking order!) I have GLW &SLW and don't find them as friendly as the Faverolle, EE and Australorp! Let us know what you end up getting ...er...and how many
wink.png
<---love that crazy chicken math!

Back
Top Bottom