My goat won't stop headbutting me

krazychick28

In the Brooder
8 Years
Feb 13, 2011
This is so annoying! Ever since I found this goat, I took him under my care. He had a rope tied around his neck so tight that it permanently damaged his voice box. He was left with no food, water or shelter for who knows how long until I found him tied up in the woods. Ever since I rescued him, he has this bad habit of chasing me and headbutting me. And it hurts like hell!
somad.gif
I get so fed up with it I just wanna wack this goat and knock some sense into him, but that would be mean
he.gif

Does anybody have any suggestions?
hu.gif

I have 3 goats. Mine do it sometimes to play and other times to be turds. I used a spray bottle on mine. Do not back down. Then they think they have won and are the dominant one. Goats don't like to be wet. So a couple of squirts with the spray bottle should work. I hope. Good luck. And Bravo to you for saving the poor thing.

Well, my little goat does the same thing. However, I am not a goat person, and ironically my (and her) story is a lot like yours. She was a rescue goat, who we took on a moments notice to save from slaughter. I have to wonder if her butting comes from lack of other goat friends, having no other outlet for rough play other than me. But for our farm, one goat is enough--too much trouble and too much worry. She is incredibly fun though.

In this photo here you can see she is starting to get slightly irritated with my photo op!!
lol.png

68054_reg_nosy_espy_455.jpg

I agree with the person who said it might be as a result from not having other goat friends who speak the same "play" language.

Your goat may also have a grudge against humans as a result of mistreatment. Try to be patient - no whacking or kicking, but do be firm. Can you get another goat?

Oh my, who would just tie a goat up in the middle of the woods and leave it to die? That's terrible.
sad.png

Do you have other goats? Goats love to head bunt to spar, for dominance, and also to play. Maybe if he had another buddy to bunt he would leave you alone?

i totally agree on the spray bottle. When i need to get my male goat in the pen at night i have to use one. Tweaked my back once trying to physically shove him in. Goats are very strong. So now he just sees the bottle and does what i want him to do.

I did not know goats didn't like water. Maybe thats why he runs from me when I try to give him a bath! LOL
I have kicked him in the head as he was charging at me once before but he just keeps doing it like it feels good to have your head beat on

What a sad story for the goat...glad you found him. Sometimes visitors to my place would think it fun to try to play head pushing games with the young wethers...and guests always wondered why I didn't allow it...it's a hard habit to break. Good luck!

Personally I WOULD NOT tolerate that! It's possible someone taught him it was ok to play that way, but it sounds more like he's being aggressive, either way he needs to learn that is not allowed. If he was mine anytime he tried to butt I'd flip him on his side, hitting him in anyway in the head will only encourage him.

Quote:
Agreed, Our older male goat used to jump up on people/headbutt people etc. we started using a spray bottle on him and he stopped after awhile!

Back
Top Bottom