My growing flock

fancychick1

Songster
Jun 23, 2014
Oak Grove, KY
Hi all I've been on several of the forums on here and love reading everyone's stories here on BYC.
I started with a small flock of seven chickens and three ducks about three years ago and a couple months after that I picked up eight more which were silkies. As most do once they start raising chickens they can't stop and chicken math starts.
I have only had one growth of ten that was a total surprise because a silkie hen managed to slip a clutch by me. I have had a few over the past two years die on me aND lost two to a possum but for the most part I have grown by leaps and bounds the past three years.
I now have a flock of 67 as of today. I have nine ducks, seven turkeys, two guineas, and forty nine chickens.
I live in a military community where families come and go, we used to but my husband is now retired. I have acquired many of my flock do to rescuing when families just up and move and leave their flock behind, or when others have to move and come ask if I can take them off their hands.
I have the oddest flock and don't know how they all get along but they all manage. I call them my disfunctional family. I have more males then I should for it to be normal and working the way everything works but I won't complain. I care for them all and they all have names except the four news ones I was given today.
My family don't really like that I have so many cause it takes a lot out of me to take care of them but they don't realize that they are such a joy and a blessing to have around and give me something to get out of bed for every morning.
Are there others out there that are not intentional growing but just can't help it?

It's nice you're enjoying your "dysfunctional family", lol. I'm sure there are many around here who has been afflicted with chicken math, you're not alone.

Good morning my new flock members have made it thru day one. They stayed in the coop in a separate cage so the others could get used to them. One of the four ran off its first night and I found out it went back home. The little boy brought her back last night so at least she got to sleep in the coop. I let them out this morning and the struggle has started for the rooster. I have so many and they all seem to except there place in line and there isn't too much struggle to take over head rooster. They all want to make sure this new guy understands where he belongs. One of his girls has run out and join the rest but two of them are staying loyal to him.
I know others experience chicken math I was just kind of telling my story and trying to strike up a conversation from time to time. I'm not on here often usually on one of the threads asking a question but I usually read and learn. Thought it would be nice to have my own thread that I could share my experiences with others.

It is nice to have you own thread! Pop in with more news anytime you like, there's always someone around to chat with
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom