My Guinea have stopped laying after a death in the coop

imtethered

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 22, 2011
I have 6 guinea Fowl 3 females and 3 males all about 14 months old.
3 weeks ago one of my guinea died, one day he was lethargic and the next day he was dead.
The guinea have a large coop of their own and had been laying eggs, sometimes 3 per day for about 3 months. Since the day the male got sick the hens have not laid another egg, none at all in 3 weeks. The 5 Guinea left seems to be happy and in good health and receive free choice food, oyster shells and plenty of greens. I have no idea why they stopped or when they will start again? Anyone else see anything like this happen with their birds?

I can relate but have no real answer as to why it has happened.

I had 8 penned guineas...4 and 4..
getting 3-4 eggs daily....had someone needing
2 adult females so I sold 2 of mine...
leaving 2 females and 4 males and that
was it...haven't seen another egg since.
I have added another female that lost her mate
and will add another female when one comes
available but meantime, I guess I too won't
get any more eggs from that group this season.
Wish I had not sold the girls but theywere a
young group and just didn't think it would
upset them that much....
guess I was wrong...
he.gif

The stress/anxiety from the loss of a bird out of the flock, (especially from a small flock) can cause the Hens to stop laying for a while, but if you have cleaned the coop, changed anything around in their coop or pen, changed their brand of feed, if the weather has been really hot etc then any of those things could have caused them to stop laying too. It's hard to say when/if they will start laying again without knowing why they stopped tho.

I have had quite a few Hens stop and start on and off thru the season, for no apparent reason at all (and it's usually when I have egg orders to fill, lol)... it's been a very odd season here this year, but I have seen that a lot of other people have posted about fluctuations in the egg flow from their Hens this season too. Somebody mentioned it being caused by all the GMO grains/corn and all the roundup ready soy that's being used in the feeds these days. Who knows.

How old are your Hens imtethered? The older a Hen gets, the less eggs she will lay per season. The laying season is winding down, and the daylight hours are shortening (if you are located in the US), so if your Hens are older then they may just be done for the season and you may not see any more eggs until next Spring. Most of my Hens between 4 and 6 or 7 yrs old have all pretty much called it quits for the season and are starting to molt (once they start to molt they are done laying for the season), but a lot of my younger Hens are still laying fairly well and have not molted yet
idunno.gif

All my hens are young, just over a year old. I'm thinking it was the shock of losing one, they had been together since birth. As long as this is a natural thing to happen I don't mind as long as it doesn't hurt them.

Back
Top Bottom