My Guinea Keets Are Here! (pics)

Guineas are only going to be predators of very small snakes. They will alert you to the presence of snakes though. For rattlesnake eradication, get a pig or two, they are very effective and somewhat less prone to predation.

I don't find that to be true with my flocks here on my 10 acres in the foot hills of Northern Cali, so I'd have to say that does not pertain to every flock.

My flocks have alerted me MANY times to large rattle snakes and also gopher snakes on my land (usually 3.5-4 ft snakes at least). By the time I get down the hill to where the birds are the snake usually already resembles sushi, and is slowly slithering off or is coiled up tight because it's been pecked and clawed enough to the point that it will die soon. The birds take turns attacking the snake from every direction, until they are satisfied they have taken care of it. Because of the amount of noise the birds make whenever they do find a snake, just out of courtesy to the rest of the locals that live out here in the valley where I live I'll always go see what exactly the birds are going off about... and I'll just dispatch the snake myself to stop the ruckus. But if I just left them to deal with it them elves there is no doubt they would finish the snake off, no questions asked.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom