My Guinea won't shut up! Help!

Yaya's Hen House

In the Brooder
10 Years
Sep 9, 2009
George West Texas
I have one Guinea hen that just won't shut up, my fear is that Im going to kill her! Any suggestions as to why she won't quit. The ONLY time she is quite is when she is eating or preening! I have 6 Guinea's, 16 weeks old. Not sure of the sex of them all just yet. I think I have 4 females and 2 males. Im very new at this raising guineas and chickens. They are together with my 3 Barred rock hens and 1 rooster and my 5 Buff orpington hens, all about the same age. I dont want to hurt her but Im really getting close to the end of my rope with her! My ears can't take any more! Thank goodness we live way out in the country where know one else can hear her but us.

You can try selling the noisiest one but guineas are loud. Expect noise. Constantly. When something potentially scary goes by expect more noise. While I was getting my guineas from the breeder we had to occasionally yell or give up talking altogether for a minute until the guineas got over whatever made them so noisy or the free ranging group wandered off across the yard again away from the breeder pens.

sad.png
Well, Im not surprised and was expecting as much. I really was wanting the Guineas to help out with bugs and an alert system for RATTLE SNAKES! But I don't think I can handle the constant "BUCK WHEAT" sound as Ive heard it said. I have enjoyed them so much up until this point. Looks like the cook pot for her. I just hope the others don't try to take her place. Only one hen is constant, the others do have quite time. Never had Guinea for dinner before, I guess this might be the first of 5 more tries to come if this keeps up.
Thanks for the responses!

I wish I was closer, I'd take her in a heartbeat. I miss hearing my guineas. All mine were killed in an attack by my own dogs.
sad.png
My Squeaker was exactly like your girl, "buck wheating" all the time. I miss hearing it.

Laurie

You could have her if we were closer, I think we are going to move them to Free Ranging before we take out the "AX". I really want this to work out. We have worked so hard on them. I have enjoyed watching them grow up and we have put a lot of work into this new hobby to just give up now. They have all been in the coop up until now and let out just in the evenings. We will see what happens when we leave them out all the time, just the guineas that is. I know they will "Buck Wheat" for a while but praying they will settle down:/.

Back
Top Bottom