My guineas are tattle-tales!

sred98

Songster
12 Years
Jan 18, 2008
Oklahoma
My guineas are pretty quiet, for the most part. If the boys run into the yard from the woods and have cowboy hats on that block their face, they make a racket til they take it off and they can see their faces, but that's about it.

Yesterday, I heard a huge racket from the 3 guineas, and ran outside. They were on the back fence (we have a small backyard enclosed on 15 acres) and were looking into the backyard. I couldn't imagine what was going on. I run into the backyard, and see my 2 Chinese geese in the backyard! DH has forbidden them from being in the backyard. They poop all over the patio and he's afraid they will jump in the pool. The guineas are allowed in the backyard, along with the chickens, so they were screaming their heads off, until I ushered the geese out. Then, the guineas hopped off the fence, and went along their merry way!
gig.gif

I had no idea they were such brats!
lau.gif
People say they are stupid, but that seems pretty smart to me!
clap.gif

Shelly

Yes they are highly intelligent, just slightly autistic. Things have to be in the same place position or it's something to squawk at. Move a roost, a nesting box, open the coop door only half way, or do any other non ordinary thing and you'll know what I mean.

My guy was dragging a huge log down the hill to cut up for firewood and they all ran toward it chattering. My guy says they were trying to warn him about the big thing following him.
lol.png

Quote:
OMG...you nailed it!
thumbsup.gif
My DD has Asperger's, and they are like that. Maybe that's why they don't bother me as much as they do other people?

Mine don't freak out over a lot of things, though. Although the first time they noticed the air conditioner running, you'd have thought they were being slaughtered! Notice that I said, "noticed"...the air had been running daily for a while, but they just happened to be near it when it went off! OMG! Craziness!
hide.gif

They will follow me all over the yard, go places they've never gone, but heaven help us if I try and hold them!
D.gif

Ours will also warn us when we go swimming. The female fell in the pool one day, and they are convinced it is a death trap. Of course, I had to pull her out, because she just panicked, and the other two stood on the edge of the pool screaming back at her.

Silly birds!
love.gif
I love them warning your guy about the huge tree monster that was stalking him and going to eat him! LOL!

Shelly

Guineas like consistency. They like every day to be like the day before.

Put on a different hat or wear a different shirt and they get a bit jumpy.

They have a set plan for the day. Mine go out in different pastures (different birds) and spend the day.

They eat and sleep and chase each other. But, throw in something different and they alert !!

Every so often i hear them cackling and see them running.
Probably a rabbit or something.

I really like my birds, they are a great addition to the flock.

I have not seen a grasshopper all year. The ticks are way down and lets face it, they are sorta cool looking in their own way.

15239_three_guineas.jpg

I wish I had access to all different kinds of guineas! I'll tell you, before mine started free-ranging, you couldn't walk to the gate without being covered in ticks! Now, only in the deepest parts of the woods, will you find a tick on you. They will go into the woods with me, but only if all 3 of them go, and their 3 chicken bff's. They have their own little flock made up of the 3 guineas and 3 chickens, everyone else will get their feathers pulled out if they try and eat, drink, or graze with them! LOL!

The bug and snake population has decreased dramatically!
thumbsup.gif
ya.gif
wee.gif
bun.gif
woot.gif
yippiechickie.gif
clap.gif

bow.gif
to the guineas! YAY!
wink.png

Shelly

Back