My Guineas do laps

Sophie Mae

Chirping
9 Years
Aug 30, 2010
Marion, Ohio
I have 5 guineas. i have had them for a year but do not really know how many male or female. I have heard the different sounds, I think but I am not sure which ones are male or female. I have 1 pearl that constantly chases 1 pied guinea. It is kinda funny to watch. The pearl never catches the pied but they can run for an hour at a time around the perimeter of my yard. Why would one always chase the same one daily? I have seen them all chase away my chickens and roo's, never any injuries. Just wondering.

We have five pearl guineas, 2 males & 3 females. Usually it is the males chasing the females, but sometimes the two males chase each other. It is fun to watch. They move so fast, like road runners. The chaser may catch the chasee, but that doesn't seem to be the reason for the chase. They will sometimes stop, start grazing, then start again.

Our guineas also chase the chickens, but the chickens stay as far away as possible.

Sorry, I don't have an explanation. I'm not sure that anyone can really explain guineas.
idunno.gif

What you are seeing are the males showing off for the Hens... one male is trying to keep or trying to take the Alpha male spot in the flock and attract the attention of the Hens so they will choose to become his Hens and allow him to mate with them. My males will chase each other all over my 10 acres of pastures, round and round for hours, finally the chasee gets tired (or trips... lol), sometimes even a 3rd male joins in and eventually the chasee gets caught, there's some feather pulling/square dancing for a minute or 2, then the chase is on again... but sometimes the chasee is then the chaser. Silly birds. My males don't ever chase the Hens round and round like this tho, they just typically rush or dart at them, sometimes in dominance, sometimes in hopes of mating
roll.png

Last edited:
What you are seeing are the males showing off for the Hens... one male is trying to keep or trying to take the Alpha male spot in the flock and attract the attention of the Hens so they will choose to become his Hens and allow him to mate with them. My males will chase each other all over my 10 acres of pastures, round and round for hours, finally the chasee gets tired (or trips... lol), sometimes even a 3rd male joins in and eventually the chasee gets caught, there's some feather pulling/square dancing for a minute or 2, then the chase is on again... but sometimes the chasee is then the chaser. Silly birds. My males don't ever chase the Hens round and round like this tho, they just typically rush or dart at them, sometimes in dominance, sometimes in hopes of mating
roll.png
lau.gif
"square dancing"
lau.gif
Now I can't wait until mine get old enough to dance and also enter those 'Guinea Olympics' long distance marathons! I knew they were going to be a hoot to watch! This just adds something new to my amusement list! Thanks, Peeps, you are a never-ending fountain of info!

LOL, well I dunno how else to describe it, they grab a beak full of feathers and swing each other around in circles, change directions and do it some more
gig.gif
Looks like Guineas square dancin' to me!

ROFL! My guineas were doing this very thing Tuesday evening. I'd seen it once or twice before, but had no clue why they were doing it. Peeps, my husband even suggested I ask you WHY. It's hilarious to watch them running running running around and around. Then the one doing the chasing catches the other one and the scramble is on. Hadn't thought of it looking like square dancing but YES it does. So funny!

I guess it's the only thing their little pea brains could come up with that feels like they are effectively kicking the other birds butt? Or maybe it's because when they finally do catch each other they are so tired from all the 90MPH running that that's all they have the energy left to do. They think they are still puttin' in a show for the ladies... by hair pulling, (sissies!) lol.

Back
Top Bottom