My hands are getting itchy...can't sit on them much longer.

kvmommy

Songster
9 Years
Jan 2, 2011
So...I have only 3 eggs survive to lock down. All had pretty bad air cells. The 3 that survived had severe saddle shaped air cells that extend down over half the egg. I actually ended up increasing humidity because it was growing so fast. I can't even imagine how the chicks survived this long because they are crammed into a weird position in less than half the egg. So...yesterday they were bouncing..not wiggling...actually bouncing, oh and yesterday was day 21, today is day 22. And eventually I heard a very weak chirp. By the evening the eggs were still no sound nothing. Today the same, no sound, no movement, no wiggling much less bouncing. I decided to candle 2 of them. One wasn't looking too good and hadn't internal pipped. One was internally pipped and looked like the beak was gasping, but it was in the air cell. I didn't candle the 3rd since the 2nd was obviously alive. After I closed the bator they started wiggling again and I heard the chirp! Yay! But, because of the positioning and the ridiculously huge air cell I don't know if they will be able pip or hatch. Its been about 24 hours since I first heard the chirp. I REALLY want these eggs and I try not to help since it usually turns out worse. But, because of the shipping and damaged air cells, at what point should I at least open the air cell up a bit and check it out? I know...I know, sit on my hands. but my husband is deployed...who will duct tape me to a chair? And btw...my eyes are suffering from staring at the eggs for 2 days.

Well since no on answered I opened one, the one I think that chirped first. The outer membrane was really tough. I think she's in a malposition because although she pipped into the aircell her head is on the bottom portion of the egg and the body is up the side. Once I peeled away the white tough membrane, the inner membrane has one big vein but the smaller ones that branch out are fairly small and getting smaller. The big one doesn't seem to be doing anything. I don't know if I should make an external pip for the other egg thats internally pipped. While candling I she appears to be in the same position...darn those massive saddle aircells. If it were a normal hatch I wouldn't have done' anything but I don't think they can externally pip from this position. and it was over 24 hours since the first internal pip. But the vessel is pretty big. I'm not sure if I helped or hindered. Its such an unusual position to be in because of the very strange aircells. Where is sally sunshine when I need her?! Or anyone. I'm not doing anything with the inner membrane by the way. Just external pip. So...do I help the 2nd one?! and should I give the one I already pipped any sugar or vitamin water?

How's the humidity in the incubator? I don't know what the actual percent was in mine, but the plastic windows on the top had no condensation and it had already taken my pippers 24 hrs to try, so I sprayed a little warm water over the entire contents of the incubator. I think it helped, cuz with in just a few hours, all that had pipped were out. I actually looked several times at the condensation in the windows and when they had very little left, I'd give them another quick spritz.

I also had a couple that were in the egg backwards so from where they had pipped, I took a tiny pic and being VERY careful to not poke thru the rubbery white membrane, I plucked a few flakes of shell off in both directions across the egg where the air cell would start. That's when I spritzed them all with warm water.
I am by no means, an expert, but I think this may have helped. It made it just a little easier for them without doing it for them. And keep in mind this was only done for the chicks that were backwards. It may help for your chicks with the saddle air sacs.
I wouldn't give them sugar water or vitamin water yet. They will learn how to drink later. They could be drowned by even one drop of water while this tiny, and not out of the egg.

MaTanner1

Last edited:
Well since no on answered I opened one, the one I think that chirped first. The outer membrane was really tough. I think she's in a malposition because although she pipped into the aircell her head is on the bottom portion of the egg and the body is up the side. Once I peeled away the white tough membrane, the inner membrane has one big vein but the smaller ones that branch out are fairly small and getting smaller. The big one doesn't seem to be doing anything. I don't know if I should make an external pip for the other egg thats internally pipped. While candling I she appears to be in the same position...darn those massive saddle aircells. If it were a normal hatch I wouldn't have done' anything but I don't think they can externally pip from this position. and it was over 24 hours since the first internal pip. But the vessel is pretty big. I'm not sure if I helped or hindered. Its such an unusual position to be in because of the very strange aircells. Where is sally sunshine when I need her?! Or anyone. I'm not doing anything with the inner membrane by the way. Just external pip. So...do I help the 2nd one?! and should I give the one I already pipped any sugar or vitamin water?
I just don't recommend any involvement unlesssssss... you already see the chick, you see the dry membrane and 24 hours have passed... the thing is that when you get your hands touch them... it sooooo hard to stop! Been there done that! And when you do it while internal piping is happening is even worse.

Let's say you manage to "help" a chick at this stage. If the chick was not meant to "be" by his own means you have just helped a crippled chick survive... one that will probably not strive without your help/protection.

As I write I have 2 ducklings that are 29 hours into their piping stage... 4 turkey eggs that are rocking (only 1 has an internal pip) and 8 chickens that have not seen rock out of which only 1 has an internal pip in the weirdest place possible (right on top in the middle of the egg).

I am itching everywhere BUT have comitted not to open the bator unless I see a little tiny beak that is tired after 24 hours and has a dry membrane...

Hope you get a good hatch.

I'm not sure what my humidity is because my hygrometer quit working half way through. There is no condensation even though I had the well filled and then added some to the other well, and after I saw how dry the outer membrane was I added a hot wet rag.

Its been about 35 hours since they internally pipped. They internally pipped right around the 21 day mark and I was excited because they were right on time...but then nothing. And the membrane was dry. I'm just concerned because the one I pipped has a big fat vessel still, so she obviously wasn't ready...but I don't think she could have pipped anyway because the outer membrane was so dry and her positioning. The other one appears to be the same but I haven't pipped for her yet. I haven't even remotely touched the inner membrane and won't because its clear she isn't ready. I am worried about there not being enough oxygen in there because its been so long since the internal pip, but worried I'll hurt them more by externally pipping.

The last egg was alive during candle but hadn't internally pipped, so I don't know if the other 2 pipped early and maybe my temps were low, or this last one is just not strong enough.

Is there any way you can open a hole or take a knob out to let air circulate but not much humidity out? Most bators have these knobs you remove once you see eggs hatching. I guess you can also quickly open and close the door so you get some oxygen in.
hit.gif
I know is really stressful!!!

You can also try listening for their peeps... some chicks are very quiet and it does not mean they are not doing well. But usually when I hear peeps I feel better. This time around it has been even more stressful for me because I hear duck peeps, but I can't differenciate between poult and chicken peeps, and I don't know if some of them are not peeping at all
barnie.gif

I would not worry much about the one that has not pipped yet. I have had some that do it at the last minute... with the others if you MUST check I'd be ready to add humidity, open the bator, hold the egg and check for movement and peeps. If you get any put it back... If you are willing to risk it at a certain point go ahead and intervene...

My ducks have not made any progress either, but I hear their noise and can see a little rocking motion on one... those I will leave alone for another 6-10 hours before i do anything and it's been 37+ hours since they started piping (internally).

Please keep us posted
caf.gif

Last edited:
The one that opened looks like she started to struggle in the membrane and tore a blood vessel.
hit.gif
There's actually not a lot of bleeding but it looks like its gasping a bit. The other egg is still chirping occasionally and wiggling. So its still alive. Its weird, the one that I opened, all the small vessels have receded so much and are almost gone but she has the huge fat vessel that hasn't receded at all.

If your hygrometer broke, perhaps your humidity has been too low? I had to add three sponges to my incubator in addition to filling the trays during lockdown to get the humidity up.

Well...the chick with the egg I pipped isn't doing so hot. Its starting to click when it breathes...but at the same time its more active. It looks to be struggling and like it wants zip but I think she's a goner. She is just in a weird position I don't think she'd have made it either way but I definitely opened it too soon. The other egg is shaking and hopping and chirping away, its pretty vigorous...although I'm surprised because its been a long time too. It has a way stronger chirp than this other one ever did. The opened egg starting chirping yesterday and it was very weak sounding and then never chirped again in the egg. So after 30 hours from the initial chirp I pipped it because I had read on another thread 24 hours after internal pip they run out of oxygen. I think that is wrong. I should have given it more time...but maybe it wouldn't have survived regardless. I just don't know.

Back
Top Bottom