My Hatch results (PICS!)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by DuckyBoys, Jul 2, 2008.

1. DuckyBoys

DuckyBoys Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Colorado
    So I started with A LOT of eggs.

15 white runners - 4 hatched and survived

10 white calls - 3 hatched and survived (including little Forrest Gump with the gimpy leg!)

18 snowy calls - NONE - only one "deverloped" and that one stopped developing somewhere around day 25 I think.

24 standard blue black splash cochins - 4 hatched and survived.

All in all it looks pretty bad - BUT this was my very first time ever hatching anything! So I'm pretty thrilled.

So here they are:

The calls and runners (two calls are a week old - they are the bigger guys. the smallest lilttle one in the middle is the other call. the others are runners)

[​IMG]

The really fluffy butts! Help me out with colors - obviously I see the black one - but I don't really know the blue from the splash.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    Congrats! Great job!

3. rebbetzin

rebbetzin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    Tucson AZ
    I thought that was pretty good how you got the chicks to line up for a photo!!

4. DuckyBoys

Apr 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Quote:Yeah, I have them in complete control...I snapped my fingers and said Line up! And they did. [​IMG] Even showed off their butts for us!

I must say - chickens are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much easier than ducks and geese.

And cleaner.

I can't believe how much cleaner.... [​IMG]

5. chickenlady

chickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2007
    Stillwater, NJ
    Congrats!! Great Job!! Ducks are extremely messy, lol. Just wait, they get worse, lol.

The cochins appear to be 1 black, 2 blue, and possibly one splash. The coloring isnt the greatest so it is hard to tell. My splash have always started out pure white. The more I look, the more I think 1 black and 3 blue. In any case, good luck with them, they are adorable!!!

6. estpr13

estpr13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2008
    Lexington, Ky
    Congrats! Hatching is an art and science. Keep working at it.

7. DuckyBoys

Apr 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Quote:Thanks! I was hoping for a splash - I think they are so pretty. But oh well, I'm still happy with them. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by