My head hurts! Breeding Mauve Orpingtons

Ok, I bred my splash hen to a choc cock.  Got some mauve pullets.  Now what do I need to breed those to?

One of my Mauve girls
I have a mystery pullet I recently purchased from someone breeging blue Orpingtons and chocolate Orpingtons. The above linked chicken looks the most like my pullets coloring I have seen. Is that sex linked chocolate with blue? My pullet:

I have a mystery pullet I recently purchased from someone breeging blue Orpingtons and chocolate Orpingtons. The above linked chicken looks the most like my pullets coloring I have seen. Is that sex linked chocolate with blue? My pullet:
Better picture of my Orpingtons color:
does this look like chocolate or dun Orpington crossed with blue?

Anyone figured out how to get a mauve rooster?

Chocolate rooster x chocolate + blue hen = 1/2 cockerels mauve
Chocolate + blue rooster x chocolate hen = 1/2 cockerels mauve
Chocolate rooster x chocolate + splash hen = all cockerels mauve
Chocolate + splash x chocolate hen = all cockerels mauve
Chocolate + blue rooster x chocolate + blue hen = 1/2 cockerels mauve
Chocolate + blue rooster x chocolate + splash hen = 1/2 cockerels mauve
Chocolate + splash rooster x chocolate + blue hen = 1/2 cockerles mauve

You can use a black split to chocolate rooster in place of all the above roosters but then 1/2 of the cockerels will be black instead of chocolate so in theory only half of the above percentages would be mauve.

@The Moonshiner What do you think of the pictures above of my Mauve pullet? Does she look Mauve to you? or some other combination? I have no idea her parents....

@The Moonshiner
 What do you think of the pictures above of my Mauve pullet? Does she look Mauve to you? or some other combination? I have no idea her parents....

Idk.
Ive never even seen a mauve in person.
Just pictures and they werent my thing so i dont know much at all about them.

There is no show standard for a mauve chicken.
Chickens are shown by breed. And split into varieties of the breed.
Mauve orpingtons are not a recognized variety.
And as far as I know there is no breed that mauve is a recognized color.

Mauve occurs when chocolate and blue both express themselves on the same chicken. It is almost a purple brown color much the same to lilac in Muscovy ducks which is a blend of blue and chocolate genes. My chocolate cockerel is much darker than that so chances are your pullet is mauve.
DSC_0999.JPG

My chocolate mottled hen she is very dark brown. Yours looks more like a blend between a brown and a blue.

Back
Top Bottom