My healthier flock experiment with FF and OT methods

bobbieschicks

Chicken Tender
8 Years
Jun 24, 2011
King George, VA
My Coop
My Coop
The question: Will following the OTs methods of management work to get my flock into the best health possible?

I love my girls & boys. They're a great bunch of chickens and I want to take better care of them without resorting to chemicals. I plan to keep just one of the roosters once I know for certain who is and isn't a rooster. I will keep all of the layers for now and eventually replace them with good dual purpose birds of one or two breeds.

The pictures of my current flock show their issues. Dirty butts = possible gleet. Missing and damaged feathers = possible poor protein intake, rooster damage, or maybe just molt.

This picture was taken a while back, but it shows the constant battle I've had with Snow's butt. I would wash her in Epsom salt bath and put it in her water and still her butt stayed dirty. After starting FF her butt is looking better, but I put that NuStock on it so I don't know if it's dirty because of the NS or because of gleet! I'll give her a bath this week as the weather is exceptionally warm. Hoping her new feather growth coupled with the changes will set her back on the path to a clean rear end.

My flock consists of 14 birds of various ages and breeds: a White Leghorn, Araucana (or EE since she's not SOP), Ancona, (3) Lavender Orpingtons, (3) Silkies, EE/WL mix, (2) Blue Splash Marans, and (2) Silkie mixes (one is Lav Orp/Partridge Silkie mix & one is WL/EE/Partridge Silkie mix).

The things I'm doing to help them:
FF: I started them on fermented Purina Layena feed on Thursday, October 18, 2012. I'm using the layer feed since that's what I have on hand. Later I may try a mix of grains. Feeding all ages from 10 week to 69 week olds same food.
NuStock: put some on the WL butt as a test to see if her butt would look better - unfortunately it's sticky so when she rolled around in the wood ashes she ended up with a weird dirty butt!
Wood Ashes: added to their dustbathing area with the mulch and dirt they use to cover themselves
ACV w/Mother: put this in their water and of course am using it to do the FF
Deworming: Using pumpkins - uncooked & whole - they are pecking it away slowly, scrambled eggs with garlic powder, Shaklee's soap in water (haven't done this yet).

I will run the experiment for one year to see if I can make a difference in this flock's health and appearance by following the advice from the OTs thread. I'll update with more pictures and any changes I note.

Last edited:
The one pictured looks to be molting. Be interested to see how it comes out.
caf.gif

Thanks - yes, Snow White is molting - but she also has what I think is gleet. The other pictures will hopefully be uploaded soon. I'm having computer issues and BYC isn't uploading my pics for some reason. I'll keep trying to get the rest of the pics up as I think it will be a helpful reference later.

My Ancona shows the thin feathers and feather loss -possibly due to the rooster mating her, but could also just be due to weak feathers?

The rear of my Lavender Orpington shows a little of the dirty butt that these girls and my White Leghorn have been having.

One of my Lav Orpingtons shows the feather damage - some of it is probably from our LF rooster we had and the rest is from... I haven't a clue!

Last edited:
Yep, that's rooster damage. Unless they get bald there I wouldn't worry about it much. I have one that is looking like that and if it gets much worse (shhh.. don't tell BEE!) I might just make her one of those aprons. I know, I know, aprons and diapers and stuff.. OH MY. She's one of my foo foo birds. I have three that, in a practical flock, would be culled. But I can't part with a few of the dearest. Unless they turn into monsters or are severely hurt or ill. (Ask my one original girl that turned into a horrible bully. NOM NOM NOM)

Back
Top Bottom