My Heart Is Broken. My Poor Little Chicks And Mom Murdered.

I am soooo sorry for your loss! Your sweet momma hen looks like our Goldlocks, who with 2 other broody hens are sitting with 2 new chicks as of today! I think we have one other chick but have not seen it yet. We are very excited to have new babies and I know how you worry as to have the coop locked up tight at night. We were sitting on my back porch this evening talking about how my grandkids were naming the chicks and saw a COON making its way toward the coop!We proptly went next door and borrowed the neighbors coon trap and baited with tuna, hopefully we will catch it before any harm is done. We lost one hen about a month ago to a coon, caught it and I know how it feels to lose a pet like that. Sorry your son had to be the one to find such a sight!
Thinking of you and family.

~~pat~~

Quote:
No there are not any of those in these parts of Alabama. I looked them up and they look straight mean. Dont need them around here.

I had never heard of fishers until someone on here mentioned them and I looked them up. Virginia didn't used to have them, but they are now coming over from the mountains of West Virginia. They are only in four counties in Virginia, all of which border West Virginia, one of which is mine! That is the scariest critter I ever saw. I don't want them in my state, much less my county.

I hope those fisher cats never make it down here. I never heard of one either till i was on here. I have my hands full with coons and possums. I will definately put on a new roof before i get new chickens.

hugs.gif
I'm so so sorry for your losses!

Oh my gosh, I am so sorry for your loss... I do know just how heartbreaking that is, as we lost our first flock of seven girls to a raccoon. My kids and I cried! Maybe in time you can find a new friend for Big Sal.

We now have a mixed flock of 10, all different ages, but my first batch of girls will always hold a special place in my heart. We raised them from the time they were a day old.

sad.png

I'm so sorry for your loss. I know that had to have been hard for you and your child. I'm a first time chick owner and have lost two to illness and one older one to our dog. I know how bad I felt then, but could not imagine losing them like you did.

hugs.gif

Your story truly broke my heart. I remember having seen your Biscuit and her babies in another thread--they were so strikingly beautiful!
I'm so sorry for the pain you must be feeling.

I am almost ready to put my first little flock out into their coop, and I'm so afraid. I've grown so attached, that I'd almost rather keep them in the house with me, if I could!
I know I'd be devastated if anything happened--especially to my favorite little banty!

I am crying too!! I am so sorry for your loss and will keep you in my prayers. Don't wait too long to try again with another brood - it will bring you comfort.

Back
Top Bottom