My hen apparently went blind

GitaBooks

Crowing
6 Years
Jun 23, 2015
USA
For the last week or two one of my bantam mix hens, Dodie, has been acting strangely. I thought she was just sick, like another of my hens, Maroon. Maroon got better after a couple weeks, so I thought Dodie would as well if I just watched out for her. However, she continued to loose weight and walked in a strange manner. She also didn't run when I picked her up.
Anyways, today I noticed that when the roosters started calling the hens for food, she ran towards them, but did not pick up the food in the grass. She also tried to get as close to the rooster as she could without running into him. So I picked her up and put my finger up to her eye to see if she would blink, and she didn't (with either eye) even when I very nearly touched it. I also tried pretending to hit her eye and waving my hand in front of it (of course not actually hitting her) and she didn't blink.

My question is, if Dodie is truly blind, what are ways that you have helped seeing impaired birds? She has been getting around in a huge barn well, but she hasn't gotten onto her perch well (she gets into the nest box) and she hasn't been getting enough to eat. I'm also worried because of predators like hawks, opossums and skunks that sometimes hang around. Right now I'm just trying to get her to gain back some weight with nutritious food.

Thanks for any advice!

Here is a picture of Dodie before she went blind. She's a adorable little Silkie x OEGB x Sebright mix with a single comb, crest, feathered feet and paint pattern on her feathers. She hatched in Spring of 2015.

Thank you for offering to help, but last night my sweet little Dodie passed away. Either she was just too thin, or there was something more to her disease then just being blind. I gave her a warm, soft place to rest and a chance to feel safe and not worry about predators or other chickens picking on her.

RIP Dodie

So sorry
1f614.png

Back
Top Bottom