My hen attacked me WHY??????????????/

All the best dressed chicken wranglers own these boots!
gig.gif

7&8 :

Quote:
gig.gif
I thought that I owned the only pair of these beauties! Small world, eh?
smile.png

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/52531_dscn1995.jpg

I have recently started having the same issue. At first I thought it was because of my red nail polish. But I have always spoiled my girls with treats and recently felt it may not be very healthy to get so much human food. So I've been cutting back and she LOVES her human food. She is on the heavy side and never knows when to stop eating! Right when I started to cut back is when I noticed she would go after my feet every time I turned to leave. It was like she was saying "Don't even think of leaving without giving me a treat!" She doesn't attack anyone else but me. I've started putting her back in the hen house as a "time out" but that hasn't worked so far. I'll try the pecking think. Oddly she is the most friendly of all my hens and will sit on my lap...especially if I have food :)))

BTW - I actually video taped her going after me because its pretty funny (if I have shoes on). If I'm wearing flip flops (which is what I prefer wearing so I can leave them outside) it actually hurts pretty bad. It even leaves what looks like a blood blister! She is a big girl but is for sure a hen! She is a Brahma!

I'm with ya Megalord, I have a Buff Orpington (very big) started pecking me hard has acted up with flared hackles jumped at me twice now, pecked my hand so hard broke the skin. And yes I'm sure its a hen. I have never had a hen act like this before. I got two BO as tiny chicks and they have alway been out going very friendly and now this? I have a girl friend that will take her but I'm really torn on if I should let her go or not. Will she get over this? She just started laying eggs. If I pet her she will attack so if I don't touch her maybe shell get past this. Any thoughts from someone that's had to deal with this? Should I just get rid of her? Or give it some time?

That is why I do not keep chickens as pets. They are for eggs only. I had a roo try to dominate, but a nice fat stick convinced him otherwise. This was years ago.

My current flock does come to the fence and do call for me to throw food. But, when I go into the pen, they scatter. I have 3 RIR hens, One RIR Roo, two Barred Rocks, and one Buff Orphington.

If you make a rooster a pet, 99% chance he will attack you when he reaches sexual maturity because he is a hormonal fool and he is not scared of you because you babied him! LOL

WELL... it happened again... Went to let the babies out and turned around and she was all puffed up and coming at me... Had a fly swatter with me so wacked her and at first she just kept coming at me had to swat her a couple of times before she figured out that I was the bigger chicken... Still makes me crazy... Just don't understand how she could do this to me.... HER CHICKEN MAMA...
hit.gif
Still can't post pics hopefully soon...
ya.gif

Are these her babies?

If no, is she sitting in a nest box for a long time? Growling and puffing up at you and other chickens?

When you say she was 'all puffed up' that makes me think broody hen. They go broody when they want to have babies. They get mean so they can protect them.

If broodiness is the case, she will be nice again when she is over it.

I had a favorite hen, Sweet Sue. She came out of the closet and crowed on Thanksgiving afternoon. Sweet Sue turned out to be Sour Sam. :eek:)

My 3 yr old Roo, whos king of the world and will attack anyone-else who enters his world..Will jump up on my shoulder when Im not looking and Cooo, purr in my ear..lol.

I'v heard if you don't have a Roo a hen will take over and act like one...?

My 18 month-old Barred Rock hen (for sure a female!) has been attacking me nearly every time I go into the pen. She used to be so friendly. We did just integrate 3 new hens who are already larger than she, so maybe she is just not happy about that. She drew blood in my hand a couple of times and has pecked at my feet and legs. We have no roosters because I don't like having something attacking me. You'd think she'd have learned by seeing them go bye-bye! How do I try to stop this behavior?

Back
Top Bottom