My hen crows?

xC0000005

Songster
12 Years
Nov 1, 2009
Woodinville, WA
Ok. Five hens, five eggs pretty consistently. Plus these are barred rocks and in my experience the rock-erals are pretty easy to spot next to the hens. Yet this morning we are woken up by this horrible noise. Not the normal crow of a rooster, that sound that says "You haven't had a good pot of soup in a while." But definitely a chicken. So I go outside, and there, under
the trampoline, is one of my barred rocks. She looks just like every other one of my hens, and when I was leaving she was perched in the nesting box, taking her morning constitutional.

Is this normal? We live in suburbia, and because we like our neighbors do not keep a real roo.

Edit because I didn't explain the noise - She would throw her head back, go into a nice, full upright posture (which looks so funny on her since she walks around normally) and threw back her head and made the noise. Several times. Her posture was just like a roo, but at a year and a half, it appears her "crow" just isn't up to snuff. Sounds like she's crying, almost.

Last edited:
My BR did that too! For hours at a time. I live in suburbia as well and couldn't stand the idea of rehoming her (she's so sweet), so every time she did it I'd go out with a rake and bang it on the ground in front of her and she would run back into the coop. It only took 3 days of doing this consistently every time she made the noise (and on the last day I only had to reach for the rake and she would stop) for her to learn to keep it down. I know this isn't ideal, but I just couldn't have her screaming because of my neighbors. They're OK with the egg song, but the crowing was too much. Anyway, chickens do learn, so if she keeps it up you might want to give it a try.

Back
Top Bottom