My hen doesn't sit on her eggs anymore!

awilde20

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 9, 2011
Well, I got this hen when she was a year old. The previous owner was a close friend and I witnessed the hen hatch 6 chicks all on her own. My friend gave me the hen and the same tom she had been mating with, and since we have had her, she will lay eggs but won't sit on them. The few times she has sat on them, she doesn't stay for many days. Any help???

How many years has this been going on? How many eggs are in the nest when she `gives up'? Does the tom have access to nesting area? What do you use for a nest?

This year was her 2nd year (1st year we had her). She and the tom were in the same pen the first two times she failed. She is currently laying again and I put the tom in another pen after she started laying. She usually starts sitting when she has 10 eggs, but only sits for a few days. And when she sits, its not often.

Don't take eggs this time until you're sure she's been completely ignoring nest for at least a week (keep a count of eggs - no more added to total for 7 days and absolute indifference to nest on her part).
Something might have been stressing her/locaion of nest might be somewhow unacceptable.

Back
Top Bottom