My hen dropped an egg.. help!

NataleeL

Chirping
Jun 23, 2016
utah
One of my 2 year old EE hasn't been acting like she feels 100% for a few days.
I've seen her eat and drink but her croup never feels full.
She's quiet and a withdrawn.
She is also one of the bottom of the flock so I don't know that may be part of her withdraw.
Anyway my daughter picked her up to bring her to the house so I could try to watch her for a bit and when she picked her up she had half a soft shell egg hanging from her vent and when she lifted her it fell out.

I have no clue what all this could mean... please help and advise.

Thank you!

A lot of time soft shells are due to lack of proper calcium, try and look up some rich chicken treats and give her some protein, and sugar water. Id suggest powdered/ground eggshell in her food for some more calcium and you can also give scrambled egg and mealworms, they LOVE THEM. Sugar water will give her some energy too hopefully! Also feel her breast and see how skinny she is. If shes totally picked on she may not be getting any food but crumbs, based on flock numbers. She should also be checked for mites just as a precaution, look for them at the base of the feathers.
Hope she's okay, goodluck

There's also worming medicine for chickens, that could be the cause. I treat mine once a year just in case. I believe you can buy it online or at any feed store

I wormed them a few months ago. Maybe I need to try something else.
They have a flock block and I put eggshells in their feed, and they get meal worms every other day or so...
I added probiotics and some electrolytes to their water a few days ago when I noticed she looked glum.
I made some fruit ice cubes tonight I'll try those tomorrow.
Maybe it's the heat?
I just freaked out that the egg just fell out of her when she got picked up.. do you think she just didn't lay it all the way? She was out walking when my daughter picked her up she wasn't in the coop laying...

She may have been wandering do to the fact that a soft she'll didn't set off her nesting instinct to brood and lay(I've had that happen). It could be the heat too, I'm not sure how heat tolerant EEs are as I've never had any. Also check to make sure the water is not in the sun. Some chickens won't drink warm water and it doesn't help cool and refresh if it's warm from heat.

I didn't know that about the water in the sun. I'll move that first thing in the morning. It is in the sun most the day.
Thank you that makes me feel better i didn't consider it may have not triggered her to nest.
Makes sense!

And EE's are not very heat tolerant, fyi. Make sure they have shade, not a hot hen house, and cool water. Small combed birds without wattles generally are better suited for cold climates.

Back
Top Bottom