My hen escaped and came back badly injured

Pics

MindiWynne

Songster
5 Years
Jun 26, 2017
Brookville, Ohio
My Golden Comet (The one on the right side of my profile picture) was out and missing for an entire day, then was found in our neighbor's yard tonight. It was dark so I didnt realize she was injured and she was running from me when I approached her (and as elusive as always) but when I did finally pick her up I saw lots of small, bleeding wounds. I brought her in to clean them and discovered a huge chunk missing from her underside. I dont know how to describe the location other than Its where her breast meat would be, to the right of her breastbone. It was kind of shocking to me because its just so big... I tried to match the skin back up but its all mangled and I cant really tell what is supposed to be there. I can only assume that aome other critter got her early today and she's had time for the skin to dry out and shrivel up. I cleaned it the best I could and sprayed with Vetricyn and a peroxide spray and then dressed and bandaged it like a human wound. I dont know what else to do but Ive had a bad week with chickens and dont want to lose another. Im going to TSC tomorrow to buy more 1st aid necessities but not really sure what to use or get for her. Any guidance or advice is greatly appreciated.

How scary! I'm a novice too and have nothing useful to add but my support! Hopefully someone with more experience will chime in. But what I have read on BYC in these situations is: give the hen a dark, warm, quiet place. Electrolyte water and wet feed, with extra protein (canned tuna, scrambled eggs, etc.). Post pictures if you can because those always seem to generate good suggestions. Hugs.

I may try to add a picture tomorrow when I change her dressings and bandages. I was so freaked out by the wound that I didnt even think about snapping a photo. She seems to be eating ok. My first thought was "high protein" so I offered her an egg and canned cat food and she chowed down. Im going to buy some medicated food tomorrow.

I don't blame you -- my camera phone would be the last thing on my mind in that situation! Sounds like you're doing everything your supposed to. And it sounds like a good thing that she's eating so much. Some of the pics that people post of injuries are awful, and then the chicken makes a full recovery! So they are resilient. Good luck! Will be pulling for you and your Golden Comet (I have two of those too!).

Back
Top Bottom