My hen has a purple-ish comb and acts sorta broody but she isn't. Heart problems?

Ducclelover10

Crowing
9 Years
Jan 14, 2013
For a few days now my Orpington hen is acting like a broody. But she isn't broody! And and her comb looks kind dark and purpley.
I think she is the only bird like this. She doesn't/hasn't had any injuries. I can't think of anything that could have caused her to get like this. Old age maybe? She has been eating her normal food, I think. Plus treats of course. And as far as I know, her stool is normal. Any ideas on what is wrong with her? I think she might be having circulatory/heart problems. What do you think?

Last edited:
Sorry, she's moving to much to get a pic. It's not that dramatic of a change anyway, it's just discolored.

I looked this up for someone else the other day; yes diseases can cause purple combs but are usually accompanied by and along with other symptoms. if she seems generally healthy there is another cause for purple comb; its a vitamin B1 deficiency! after searching long and hard for this other member I was listening to the chicken whisper show and they were talking about vitamin deficiency. they said a chicken who is deficient in B1 will develop a purplish comb. perhaps this is what's happing here? all the other illnesses that are associated with purple comb mostly have other symptoms that go along with it. I'd try the vitamin it certainly couldn't hurt any. I found a excellent B vitamin source that's low in sodium and readily absorbed by the body. I got it from first state vet supply online. its called Vita Pro B. now I'm pretty sure it has the B¹ in it. you should give it a try. its a water soluble powder and it lasts a really looong time! if not find a supplement that's LOW in sodium and has B¹ in it. hope this helps. it surely can't hurt any. best of luck.

I looked this up for someone else the other day; yes diseases can cause purple combs but are usually accompanied by and along with other symptoms. if she seems generally healthy there is another cause for purple comb; its a vitamin B1 deficiency! after searching long and hard for this other member I was listening to the chicken whisper show and they were talking about vitamin deficiency. they said a chicken who is deficient in B1 will develop a purplish comb. perhaps this is what's happing here? all the other illnesses that are associated with purple comb mostly have other symptoms that go along with it. I'd try the vitamin it certainly couldn't hurt any. I found a excellent B vitamin source that's low in sodium and readily absorbed by the body. I got it from first state vet supply online. its called Vita Pro B. now I'm pretty sure it has the B¹ in it. you should give it a try. its a water soluble powder and it lasts a really looong time! if not find a supplement that's LOW in sodium and has B¹ in it. hope this helps. it surely can't hurt any. best of luck.

She seems really agitated and spacey. And she clucks to herself just like a broody chicken.

Back
Top Bottom