My hen has been limping for a while...

HybridChickLady

In the Brooder
Oct 6, 2017
Quebec, Canada
Okay, she's not actually mine, but I help in taking care of her from time to time.
What is the problem? Since about a week ago, this 4 month old Chanteclerc pullet, named "Kevin", has been limping. The owner does not say which leg, but whichever leg it is, she can't put weight on it or stretch it out. The owner says the she thinks Kevin has a slipped tendon. Kevin is staying in the house, in a cage most of the time, but the owner says it isn't helping. She's not sure what to do to help Kevin anymore, and thinks she will cull her with the extra roos next week. An important thing to note is that Kevin had weak legs as a chick, but the owner helped her out.
Now, I'm not sure if the owner wanted me to help or if she is sure she wants to cull her, but she loves Kevin. Kevin was the chick she spent the most time with. She DID say, "Her legs were weak to begin with. So if I were to have this fixed, it would likely just happen again. And to be honest, my birds were meant to be eaten this winter anyways...although I was kinda hoping to keep some of the girls.", so maybe I'm making this post for no reason, but if the information I gather here is not used to help Kevin, it can always be used to help another chicken, someday.
Okay, now for the actual question, what should we do to try and help her? By the way, she does not have bumblefoot, I'm pretty sure of that.
Thanks in advance.
Edit: She is most likely eating and drinking just fine.

Last edited:
Okay, she's not actually mine, but I help in taking care of her from time to time.
What is the problem? Since about a week ago, this 4 month old Chanteclerc pullet, named "Kevin", has been limping. The owner does not say which leg, but whichever leg it is, she can't put weight on it or stretch it out. The owner says the she thinks Kevin has a slipped tendon. Kevin is staying in the house, in a cage most of the time, but the owner says it isn't helping. She's not sure what to do to help Kevin anymore, and thinks she will cull her with the extra roos next week. An important thing to note is that Kevin had weak legs as a chick, but the owner helped her out.
Now, I'm not sure if the owner wanted me to help or if she is sure she wants to cull her, but she loves Kevin. Kevin was the chick she spent the most time with. She DID say, "Her legs were weak to begin with. So if I were to have this fixed, it would likely just happen again. And to be honest, my birds were meant to be eaten this winter anyways...although I was kinda hoping to keep some of the girls.", so maybe I'm making this post for no reason, but if the information I gather here is not used to help Kevin, it can always be used to help another chicken, someday.
Okay, now for the actual question, what should we do to try and help her? By the way, she does not have bumblefoot, I'm pretty sure of that.
Thanks in advance.
I have a pullet that has been limping on her right leg for a month. I cannot see or feel anything wrong with her, but she tries not to put any weight on it. She is eating, drinking and laying. She sleeps on the floor because she cannot get up on the roost. I would like advise on what to look for. Absolutely not bumble foot. Thanks

Sprains can be common from horseplay or jumping and landing wrong. Spiral fractures which may be hard to see without xrays can happen. It can take weeks for sprains or fractures to heal, and limiting activity or splinting may help.

Leg bone deformities, such as varus valgus deformity or twisted tibia can be common in chicks, and may get worse as the chicken grows up. Many think these are slipped tendons, but actually can be deformities in the leg bones and sometimes they may be twisted. Tendon ruptures can occur especially in the hock joints as they grow. Pictures of your chickens standing can help a lot in helping to diagnose. Unfortunately, leg deformities usually cannot be treated successfully, although some chickens may get around well enough to get enough to eat and drink. Here are some links about deformities and causes:
http://www.thepoultrysite.com/articles/1051/leg-health-in-large-broilers/

https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poul.../noninfectious-skeletal-disorders-in-broilers

I have a pullet that has been limping on her right leg for a month. I cannot see or feel anything wrong with her, but she tries not to put any weight on it. She is eating, drinking and laying. She sleeps on the floor because she cannot get up on the roost. I would like advise on what to look for. Absolutely not bumble foot. Thanks
You can try putting a video on YouTube with a post here. Look for any swelling of her leg joints or any bruising or redness. Sometimes the injury can be in the hip. Xrays are expensive, but could rule out a fracture. I had a hen who limped for a couple of years, staying with her friends free ranging, never getting better, and eventually died. I think she may have had a spiral fracture that never healed. Another hen limped for 6 weeks, then got better. It just depends on the cause.

Hello all, I'm Kev's owner although HybridChickLady knows and loves her just as much as me! Thanks for trying to help. :)

Extra details: Kev is limping on her right foot since nearly a week. I kept her in cage for the past 4 days because she tries to jump up and down on the furniture anyways and I don't want her making matters worse, especially not hurting the other leg.
Her foot looks absolutely normal and I can't tell if there is any swelling or hot spots further up on the leg either. I'll try to post a video so everyone can get a good idea of what's happening.

Hello all, I'm Kev's owner although HybridChickLady knows and loves her just as much as me! Thanks for trying to help. :)

Extra details: Kev is limping on her right foot since nearly a week. I kept her in cage for the past 4 days because she tries to jump up and down on the furniture anyways and I don't want her making matters worse, especially not hurting the other leg.
Her foot looks absolutely normal and I can't tell if there is any swelling or hot spots further up on the leg either. I'll try to post a video so everyone can get a good idea of what's happening.
Welcome to BYC. Will look forward to seeing the video. Sometimes it helps to keep them in a dog crate inside the coop or out in the chicken yard with the others for company. Put water in a heavy container, such as a coffee can and food so she can’t knock it over.

Welcome to BYC. Will look forward to seeing the video. Sometimes it helps to keep them in a dog crate inside the coop or out in the chicken yard with the others for company. Put water in a heavy container, such as a coffee can and food so she can’t knock it over.

Thanks, I saw that you're having a similar issue. I hope we can find a solution to make our feathered friends more comfortable.

Back
Top Bottom