My hen has developed spurs... Anyone elses?

wolfinator

Songster
8 Years
Aug 28, 2015
Mountains of Fayette County, WV
I have nearly 60 chickens of various breeds, cross breeds and sexlinks ranging from 23 day old chicks to 4-5 year old hens including roosters. With that many it's hard to check everyone but I try when they let me. Well, at some point, one of my black Australorp hens has grown spurs - roughly 1 1/2" long. Yes, she lays eggs so I know she's not a rooster. I've asked several others that raise or used to about this but they've never seen a hen with spurs. Has anyone else had a hen grow spurs? If so what breed or breeds? Please post photos.

My black Australorp hen, she wasn't too pleased on being touched or held.
20180929_152935.jpg
20180929_152658.jpg
20180929_152948.jpg

Some hens DO grow spurs. It's pretty common, really. Here is one of my girls. View attachment 1547050
Wow! I've only had chickens since July 2015 and they were bantams with no prominent spurs, just little curved ones. I got my standard chickens starting March 2017 and she's the only one with spurs other than my 7 boys. I wasn't aware a hen could grow them too. No one I've talked to that ever raised chickens, has a hen with spurs. Thanks for sharing your girls photo with me, they're beautiful.

Wow! I've only had chickens since July 2015 and they were bantams with no prominent spurs, just little curved ones. I got my standard chickens starting March 2017 and she's the only one with spurs other than my 7 boys. I wasn't aware a hen could grow them too. No one I've talked to that ever raised chickens, has a hen with spurs. Thanks for sharing your girls photo with me, they're beautiful.
Of course! I've been doing backyard chickens for seven years and I still have a lot to learn about them.

Back
Top Bottom